Help choosing a soundcard

4 posts in this topic

Currently I have Mac OS X running on a PC and I want to buy some cool sound card for it which I can later plug into real Mac I'm going to buy. I recently sold my X-Fi Platinum and want to find a replacement for it (with better driver support and compatibility).

So here is what i want it to do:

- multichannel surround sound (i want to watch movies)

- ASIO support (i want to play guitar through GuitarRig)

I've searched forum and googled a lot but didn't find anything which could fulfill both of these two requirements :D The only one I found was M-Audio Revolution 5.1 but people say it has bad driver support :)

Any suggestions ?

• 2 months later...
Currently I have Mac OS X running on a PC and I want to buy some cool sound card for it which I can later plug into real Mac I'm going to buy. I recently sold my X-Fi Platinum and want to find a replacement for it (with better driver support and compatibility).

So here is what i want it to do:

- multichannel surround sound (i want to watch movies)

- ASIO support (i want to play guitar through GuitarRig)

I've searched forum and googled a lot but didn't find anything which could fulfill both of these two requirements :angel: The only one I found was M-Audio Revolution 5.1 but people say it has bad driver support :blink:

Any suggestions ?

Do not buy the m-audio revolution audiocard, there are no compatible drivers for intel processors, verify it on the m-audio website, they are working in a pci xpress audio card (I buy the Revolution 7.1 for my Hackintosh and it doesn't work). Saludos!

don't get any M-Audio cards for a Hackintosh, you're wasting money [unless you're using it in Unix/XP as well].

if you want to play guitar through you're computer, you don't necessarily need ASIO support, you just need to configure the card to be the input device [i do lots of recording, guitar and for a friends' band].

if you have onboard, you might as well use that if you can.