Isn't there person who succeeds remote debugging for OSx86 mach_kernel?

Atsushi

1 post in this topic

4 months ago I built xnu-1048-semthex_2 kernel for my study though it didn't work with my PC that has a Celeron D which has SSE2 also SSE3.

Recently, I got a VAIO that has Core 2 Duo so I tried xnu-1048-semthex_2 kernel(named mach_kernel.vaio) that was bulit by me then it worked so I've tried remote debugging for xnu-1048-semthex_2 but gdb can't attach the target PC.

post-41573-1180409145_thumb.png

I have done the following things, used VAIO as Target and G4 Cube as Host.

1. Boot the Target with "hd(0,3)mach_kernel.vaio debug=0x144" on the Darwin/x86 boot loader for booting OSx86 10.4.9 on my VAIO.

"debug=0x144" means DB_NMI, DB_ARP and DB_LOG_PI_SCRN.

2. Host, set up a permanent network connection to the target computer via ARP.

$ ping -c 1 192.168.2.2

$ arp -an

$ sudo arp -s 192.168.2.2 00:13:a9:a6:ec:3b

$ arp -an

3. Host, Run gdb on the kernel.

$ gdb -arch i386 /mach_kernel

4.Host, Tell gdb that you will be debugging remotely.

(gdb) target remote-kdp

5.Target Break into the kernel debugging mode

Hold down the following five keys: Alt, Windows, Ctrl, Shift and Esc.

6.Host Attach to the target computer.

attach 192.168.2.2

But, gdb showed

"kdp_reply_wait: error from kdp_receive: receive timeout exceeded

kdp_transaction (remote_connect): transaction timed out

kdp_transaction (remote_connect): re-sending transaction"

After "ping 192.168.2.2" on the Host terminal so I hold down the following five keys: Alt, Windows, Ctrl, Shift and Esc on the Target then mouse doesn't work on the Target and ping stopped 192.168.2.2 ping statistics because Target didn't connect to Host. Then I think the reason is this but target actually breaks into the kernel debugging mode.

If it goes well, in console, I’ll see the following message on the screen like this:

ethernet MAC address: 00:13:a9:a6:ec:3b

ip address: 192.168.2.2

But console.app doesn't show them.

At last I think that kdp or something doesn't work though I don't know what is kdp. Actually, I changed the device ID on the kext for VAIO LAN then LAN works and debug version kernel showed 00:00:00:00:00:00 for MAC address also 00.00.00.00 for IP address when booted with kernel debug version on VAIO. Maybe I will succeed with a LAN that is recogized by kernel debug version on the other PC.

Isn't there person who succeeds remote debugging for OSx86 mach_kernel?

Before do this, I read Two-Machine Debugging and Hello Debugger: Debugging a Device Driver With GDB

Thank you,

Atsushi