How to speed up Hard Disk

Envying

5 posts in this topic

After kernel panic of updating 10.4.9, I re-installed 10.4.8. But in Xbench seems my hard disk test score dropped quite a lot.

Please give me some hint on this, mean while I had HD SMART verified. Thanks in advance...

• 2 weeks later...

Is this a typical hackintosh harddrive benchmark? ;)

I followed the guide to enable AHCI, but now "about this mac" shows that I have 4 hard drives.

My configuration:

MB= Gigabyte Ga-965g-ds3

Processor=E6600

Memory=1Gb

HD=2 Western Digital 80GB

optical drive=DVD sata

Video=Nvidia 7600

My general impression is that the HackinTosh seems much faster than my MacMini(Intel 1.6) and it is much faster than my other MacMini(PPC-G4). :)

post-113394-1181484582_thumb.jpg

You can't directly increase the speed of your HDD. It is a set RPM (such as 7200 or 15000), and that can't be changed. However, your motherboard, cables, etc can affect the speed of transfer.

RAMM,

Thanks for responding. I have read your posts all over this site and you are obviously brilliant!

Specifically, my perceived or real problem is that after turning on "AHCI"; I now have two extra drives. My hard drive should be faster than the ones install on my MacMini, but the transfer speed doesn't indicate that fact. And, actual through put is slower. My picture above shows the "Generic AHCI" and "Serial-ATA" with the two hard drives attached. Each "Generic AHCI" has a device attached, like expected; but the "Serial-ATA" controller shows two harddrives attached also.... Should I delete the "Serial-ATA" controler and force the "Generic AHCI"? If so, how? :whistle:

Of coarse, If the problem is just perceived than what hard drives do you recommend that will achieve at least "100" in Xbench?

According to the Western Digital site my drive..... Spec's below.

Performance Specifications

Rotational Speed 7,200 RPM (nominal)

Buffer Size 8 MB

Average Latency 4.20 ms (nominal)

Start/Stop Cycles 50,000 minimum

Seek Times

Read Seek Time 8.9 ms

Write Seek Time 10.9 ms (average)

Track-To-Track Seek Time 2.0 ms (average)

Full Stroke Seek 21.0 ms (average)

Transfer Rates

Buffer To Host (Serial ATA) 3 Gb/s (Max)

Buffer To Disk 748 Mbits/s (Max)

Thanks in advance....

-Foxboroman-