Kernel Panic on Prescott P4

tech_9

3 posts in this topic

I installed OS X x86 jas 10.4.8 sse2 sse3 on my intel p4 system today.

I burned the iso, changed my booting around so my 20gb hard drive would be primary so I didn't touch my primary hard drive...And then I installed it.

I installed each package except for the AMD thing...Installation went fairly smoothly, it hung a few times but thats because I have something of a heat issue with my vga...so I switched to an older, inferior graphics card that put out less heat, put a house fan on the system, and installation went just fine.

After rebooting to the HD, the white apple appears and the circle thing goes for a while....Then it gives me a Kernel panic with the screen going gray and saying "You need to restart your computer" in 4 languages.

According to all tests, my processor is compatible with SSE2 & 3 instructions...My board is a Gigabyte running Intel 848P...I'm not sure if that could be the issue...I have a pretty standard GeForce...4800 I *think*, running on AGP 8x...USB Mouse, which works fine, PS2 keyboard which I'm not sure if it works fine or not because I don't ever get into the OS, and I never actually used it during installation...

Here is my everest hardware report.

tech9_report.htm

Any help on what to do/Whats wrong would be great.

>I installed each package except for the AMD thing

Start over again. Boot from the DVD. When you get to the install screen select utilities, run the disk utility, and erase the partition into HFS+. Quit the disk utility which will take you back to the installer. I only checked 2 packages, the intel package and the fix to prevent crashing on about this mac. That's it. Select no video, printer, languages, or fonts. Let us know what happens this time. I've read that mixing USB and PS/2 devices can cause problems. Go with all one or the other. If you go all PS/2, be sure to disable support for legacy USB devices in the BIOS. If you don't do this, the PS/2 mouse and kbd won't work.

I'll try and post back.

~~~

OK, I essentially did what you said and it works now.

I erased the partition into the default choice (Journaled) or whatever it is. For the installer, I only installed the Essentials and the Intel patch.

I also converted my ps/2 keyboard to USB using an adapter I had, since I coudln't find a PS/2 mouse anywhere.

Did that, installation ran me about 20 or so minutes, and everything booted right up. Mac OS X now works!

Thanks very much. =)