Contemplating a Byte

Ritter

6 posts in this topic

I have one of the original prints of Robert Zraick's famous "Contemplating a Byte" (artwork which originally appeared in Softalk magazine in 1981). I was wondering if anyone knew its value. It is in good condition.

• 9 months later...
Guest Romeyn

I, too, have one of these posters. My robot, however, is contemplating a rainbow-colored Apple. I tracked down Zraick a couple of years ago and asked him about it. Here's what he wrote:

-----

Very nice to hear from you. I certainly don't mind you contacting me.

Yes, your copy of the poster is now rare. The original poster was done as a design for a magazine cover, and was printed in a limited quantity and sold at that time. It sold out. The magazine and I had gotten permission from Apple to use the rainbow striped apple which reflected the Apple logo. I was granted permission to use it and incorporated it into the original painting.

The four color process plates were made from the original painting. I still have the original painting but time and aging has taken it toll. The paints and inks which were used were not the type which has a long life. The painting was done as a commercial piece and I never expected it to have such a long lasting popularity.

The colors on the printed posters are much better than the colors now on the original painting. The negatives for the original color separation were lost years ago.

Recently, some friends of mine has decided to release a second printing of the poster, and sell it via the website which you found. I told them that I still owned the copyrights of the original and that we could just reproduce it. However, they made the mistake of contacting Apple to get permission to reprint the poster, even though I owned the copyrights to the original. Apple refused to give permission. This was unfortunate because I already had permission, but now it would turn into a legal battle, which I could not afford to wage, against Apple who has more money than God.

My friends asked me to paint a red apple to replace the original and that version is what is being sold from the web site. Five of the last copies of the original were bought by Apple years ago as special gifts for some of their top executives. I had three copies left, and they were lost in shipping during a move.

Most people whom I know personally, and who have a print from that original release, still have the posters and display them to this day.

If I remember correctly, the first printing was 2000 copies. I am currently still doing art, but now it is computer animation, which did not really exist at the time I painted the poster. I hope the poster will continue to bring some joy and whimsy into the lives of the viewers. That was my original intent.

In any case I hope this clears up the mystery of the missing stripes. I had an idea for another poster which would have been sort of a "sequel" But now that Apple has been so protective of the logo, I don't think it will ever be painted.

Regards and thanks

Robert Zraick

-----

• 8 months later...
Guest joesobel

I also have a copy of Contemplating a Byte. I was a charter subscriber to Softtalk and received the offer to purchase an original of the magazine's first cover. I have a signed original, number 128/200 so I believe there were only 200 prints unless there is another printing that was done independently of Softtalk's offer.

I've cherished the poster all these years. I had it framed at more than three times the cost of the poster, but worth every penny. I believe it is still in nearly mint condition. It has hung in every office I've worked in all these years and hangs in my office at home now that I'm retired.

It always has and continues to draw attention and rave comment from all who see it.

If you see this message Robert, thanks for the enjoyment. It's truly a special piece of work and always brings back memories of my years using Apple computers. If you'd like to see a photo of the framed work I can take a photo and forward it. However, due to the glass I'm not sure how that will come out. You can reach me at joe.sobel@cox.net

Joe Sobel

That begs a question: Assuming I am ever of the mind to part with this thing, or even want to know its value for insurance purposes: Where does one go to have such a thing appraised? Any ideas?