Installing new Driver

manuel

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm stuck at the installation of OSX.

The Kernel does not detect my harddisk so I want to install the nforce driver from my usb stick.

But I have a strage problem:

there is no /System/Library/Extension -Directory

even mkdir /System/Library/Extension does not work: Read-only file system

Now I cannot copy the Nforce Driver form my usb stick to /System/Library/Extension. Can anybody tell me how to install the driver?

Thanks for your effort.

Manuel

Hi,

I'm stuck at the installation of OSX.

The Kernel does not detect my harddisk so I want to install the nforce driver from my usb stick.

But I have a strage problem:

there is no /System/Library/Extension -Directory

even mkdir /System/Library/Extension does not work: Read-only file system

Now I cannot copy the Nforce Driver form my usb stick to /System/Library/Extension. Can anybody tell me how to install the driver?

Thanks for your effort.

Manuel

I assume you're trying to do this from Terminal from the Boot DVD? If so, I had exactly the same problem yesterday - there was no /System/Library/Extension. I closed terminal and opened diskutility. Then I went back to terminal and /System/Library/Extension was there!

Sorry I don't have a solution, but i'd try again if I were you.

Guest Ramm

Question: Why would there be a System/Library/Extensions if the OS isn't even installed yet?

You'd have to do it after the install...

Sorry, I'm new to MacOS.

I thought this is a standard directory which should already exist before the installation.

But how can I install MacOS without any chipset driver (without the nforce driver I cannot access my harddrive at the installation)?