Dell Dimension 8400 kernel panic problem with SSE3

phlip555

4 posts in this topic

With all the DVD's i've tried, i run into a problem when i select SSE3, even though everest and cpu-z lists SSE3 among SSE2, MMX and others in the instruction set. To name a few: uphuck's 10.4.9, jas 10.4.8 with ppf1 and ppf2 (after 10.4.9 update), jas 10.4.7.

I've been told on IRC it may be an IO problem, so i stripped everything but my PS2 mouse and keyboard. Still nothing. Whenever I select an SSE3 kernel I get this kernel error, even though SSE3 is listed in my instruction set.

If i try to install an SSE3 only cd, or do an SSE3 only update, booting hangs and refers to the kernel, the screen goes gray, then wipes, gets darker and darker, until its black with a looping error, i didn't get to writing it down.

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

Here's a pic of my error i found on another post, only on my comp, i don't see all that is above the last line because i didn't have it in verbose mode (-v). The line i see is the one at the bottom referring to the kernel.

It boots fine after install in vmware.

post-63709-1180188376_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed: Installed with 10.4.8 ppf1 ppf2, updated to 10.4.9 manually, updated to newest SSE3 kernel manually. Although, the X300 video card isn't really working right, os x thinks it doesn't have vram, and doesn't have quartz 2d

Which kernel did you use...??

I also have an 8400, and had problems with the kernel. Was using one of semthex's ones and it worked.

Fixed: Installed with 10.4.8 ppf1 ppf2, updated to 10.4.9 manually, updated to newest SSE3 kernel manually. Although, the X300 video card isn't really working right, os x thinks it doesn't have vram, and doesn't have quartz 2d