How do I make HDMI output work?

2 posts in this topic

I justbought a MSI video card with a Nvidia 7600GS chipset, with 256 MB of RAM and a HDMI output (it also has one of those 7 pin S-Video outputs to connect a component video breakout cable, but I haven't tried that yet). In Windows Vista I can get the Nvidia drivers to recognize my HDTV through the HDMI output, but in OS X it doesn't show anywhere, although I know that it's a driver problem, because as soon as the computer boots up you can see the Intel motherboard logo, and even the first gray Apple logo, but then both the monitor and the HDTV go blank for a moment and the system finishes booting in the monitor, but nothing happens on the TV set. I'm using the drivers that come with JAS' 10.4.8 installation CD, which is updated to 10.4.9 also using JAS' combo updater. System profiler accurately recognizes the card as a 7600GS, but I realize that the drivers may have been written before HDMI was implemented. But anyway, has anybody successfully made the HDMI output work in this or any other card with HDMI?

Thanks

I'm replying to myself because I found the solution. I installed the Natit Universal package and it works like a charm. It did a weird thing at first, giving me a resolution with swapped dimensions on the monitor (1024x1280 instead of 1280 x 1024) but after rebooting a second time it gave me the correct dimensions. Also, for some reason it set the TV set as my primary display, which kind of messed me up for a minute because not being used to work with multiple displays it took me a while to figure out that the way to set the primary display is to drag the little menu bar in the Arrangement tab to the other display. Now everything works! I'm able to play HD videos that I capture from my cable DVR through firewire with VLC, with the only problem being that if I don't use deinterlace the fields are inversed, so I'm still trying to figure that one out.