Network adapter suddenly stopped working

6 posts in this topic

I've got a Dell Dimension 5150 running 10.4.9 with Integrated Intel® PRO 10/100 Ethernet that's been working fine with no issues regarding networking. This morning my machine crashed (happens several times a week... but that's a different issue) and when I rebooted, my built-in network connection was no longer working. Luckily I have a wireless adapter installed as well so I'm using that (however my VPN software I use for work doesn't work over wireless connections... so I really need the wired connection to work). The Network Preferences screen says the cable isn't plugged in. I've tried several cables and reboots to no avail. System Profiler sees the network adapter but it's just not functioning. I've noticed that the light next to the ethernet plug on the back of the computer is showing amber and not green when the cable is plugged in. Here's a screenshot of System Profiler and Network Preferences. Ideas anyone?

post-67136-1180024951_thumb.jpg

hi it could be the auto sense/negotiate part of the card has gone {censored} up. try to force the card to 10 Mbps half duplex, here in spain ive seen loads of these blow up after power surges and the like on our routers have buggered up NIC's.

go to network prefs and built in ethernet and go to ethernet option, in there you can change from automatic to manual, and set the card as above

10Mbps/half duplex.

try it.

go to network prefs and built in ethernet and go to ethernet option, in there you can change from automatic to manual, and set the card as above

10Mbps/half duplex.

try it.

Thanks for the reply. However the built-in ethernet is disabled and I can change the configuration.

Update: Security Update 2007-005 fixed my problem with the onboard NIC. It's now working again. But now my wireless NIC adapter is no longer recognized. It's the Linksys WMP54GS (one of the earlier revisions.. I think rev 2). It worked right out of the box so I'm not sure what happened. I supposed I might have to update a kext?

picture4og1.jpg

Final update (I hope): Turns out I guess I needed to edit the /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/Info.plist file and add <string>pci14e4,4320</string>. I just don't remember having to do that in the past to make it work... but who knows... I probably just forgot.

After editing the Info.plist file and rebooting, Parallels networking was busted. However a simple uninstall/reisntall fixed it. So now everything is working again!

me = happy