OS X cant find my HDD

geminii

10 posts in this topic

i tried everything to load mac i had to disable my usb drives to make it work and now in the installation where they ask to choose destination it cant find my harddrive..... i did format it to FAT32...the only thing disk utility sees its my dvd drive need help im so close to get it

cpu : intel pemtium d 805 2 core

chipset : ATI RS400/RC400/RC410

southbridge : SB400

HardDrive : WDC WD2500JS-60MHB5 ATA

"everything" is a big word...

Try to use your IDE HDD master (jumper), your DVD drive slave (jumper), set boot order from bios, disable SMART for both, if refuses to install hit F8 and type -v to get a complete error report.

Better use PS/2 Key and Mouse, unblug all unnessasery devices from your PC durring installation, dont givup on first (or 100th) try.

Stay in touch with your post in forum and give details about errors.

Good luck.

To set your HDD master by jumper and your DVD slave it must open your PC box and chek your gables if correct and also chek jumpers on hard drive and dvd drive, it is hardware action, it cannot be done from bios.

(you can install on a usb drive just to test your hardware before you change configurations)

I don't know why it was suggested you mess with jumpers. Here's your problem:

"in the installation where they ask to choose destination it cant find my harddrive..... i did format it to FAT32...the only thing disk utility sees its my dvd drive "

Use the disk utility to erase the partition (not delete, erase in OSX equals format in the PC world) and choose HFS+. When you do that the disk will mount and you will see it as a destination where you can then install. Just be aware that if the FAT32 partition was never set as bootable, you may not boot the OS when the install completes. It's an easy fix, let us know how far you get.

Here's how to do the install:

1. Boot from a Windows XP CD. Install XP, formating the ENTIRE disk as NTFS.

2. Once the XP install completes, boot from the HDD. XP should come up and life will be beautiful. Right click on the HDD in My Computer, Properties, and make sure the HDD is NTFS file system. If it says FAT32, start from step #1 again.

3. Now that you have a bootable HDD with the entire partition formatted as NTFS, you can clobber the whole thing and install OSX. Restart the computer with the OSX DVD-R in the DVD drive. OSX will boot from the DVD-R.

4. When you get to the install screen you won't see your HDD listed. This is normal. Select the disk utility from the utility pulldown.

5. The disk utility will see the NTFS partition. Select the partition and format (it calls it erase) as HFS Journaled (HFS+). When the partition is erased into HFS+, the volume will mount.

6. Quit the disk utility and you'll be back at the install screen. The installer will now see your disk with a green arrow for you to install OSX onto. Make the correct selections for what to install, take a break for 1.5 hours and then come back.

7. When the installer finishes and the computer restarts, eject the DVD-R and OSX will boot from the HD and life will be beautiful.

I have the exaxt same setup as yours, OSX runs fine.

i'm using vista and do i really have to format my hole hdd cuz i have lots of videos and musics on it and programs i woulds like to keep and dont want to use to many cds or dvds

i'm using vista and do i really have to format my hole hdd cuz i have lots of videos and musics on it and programs i woulds like to keep and dont want to use to many cds or dvds