Disk Access Speed Dell Optiplex 320

2 posts in this topic

I have a Dell Optiplex 320 with Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83 GHz, 2 GB DDR2 533 RAM, 160GB SATA HD, 20GB PATA HD. The chipset is ATI RS400/RC400/RC410 with SB600. The PATA controller is ATI with Hardware ID of 438C and the SATA controller is ATI with Hardware ID of 4380. I have the JaS Intel/AMD install DVD and can install natively to the PATA. The drive access is miserably slow after installation and it cannot see the SATA at any point. I have searched here for different driver/kext things to try to enable UDMA for the PATA and have looked but not found any solution to the poor drive access or being able to see the SATA. Any help would be appreciated. If I can't get it to load on the SATA or speed up the access for the PATA I am probably going to dump this. The xBench score for the PATA were in the 1.x to 2.x range.

I have tried adding my dev ID to the AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext and the AppleGenericATA.kext within the IOATAFamily.kext but still haven't been able to get it to better the drive access speed, has anyone come up with something similar? I would really like to get this going. Is there a utility to check for UDMA access setting with the Apple OS?