Jas 10.4.8 SSe2 SSe3 v Tubgirl 10.4.8 AMD

The Fonze

3 posts in this topic

Hi

I am a totall noob to OSX (except for the last few days) Linux and Unix so please forgive my ignorance.

I have downloaded Jas 10.4.8 and Tubgirl 10.4.8 AMD to install on my Athlon 64, ASUS K8V-X SE with GeForce 6600 and Linksys 100TX v4 (onboard LAN is disabled).

In both JAS and Tubgirl I managed to get the 6600 running with fill CI and QE support (after a number of reinstalls) using the Titan kext and the LAN adapter using tulip.kext. Sound worked out of the box (although I need to plug my speakers into the mic jack and change the output to 48000.0 Hz in Audio MIDI Setup).

Jas v Tubgirl

The Jas install is nicer due to the fact that I can choose the packages I want to install which can also make for a faster install. Jas also runs ALOT faster overall on my system. Does anyone know why? Does Tubgirl support SSe3?

There are a few weird things happening in Jas

1. I cannot connect to windows smd shares on my network although I can see the shares and authenticate see post

All other network/internet traffic seems to be OK.

2. I cannot send attachments in my emails from both my browser based mail (Safari of Firefox using multiple emails eg gmail, yahoo etc) and through email clients (imap) but my email is working from other PC's (really weird). I think this problem is related to the first.

3. iCal doesn't run (just keeps bouncing up and down in the dock) doesn't really bother me but it would be nice to have a fully functional install.

4. Just keeps rebooting on Jas 10.4.9 update

In Tubgirl everything seems to run as it should except it runs alot slower than the Jas installation and for this reason I would like to try and resolve the above issues and run Jas (unless anyone knows why tubgirl is running slow).

Tubgirl also installs the 10.4.9 update without a hitch.

Any help with the above would be greatly appreciated but I would also love to here others experiences compared both releases

Thank You

Hi

I am a totall noob to OSX (except for the last few days) Linux and Unix so please forgive my ignorance.

I have downloaded Jas 10.4.8 and Tubgirl 10.4.8 AMD to install on my Athlon 64, ASUS K8V-X SE with GeForce 6600 and Linksys 100TX v4 (onboard LAN is disabled).

In both JAS and Tubgirl I managed to get the 6600 running with fill CI and QE support (after a number of reinstalls) using the Titan kext and the LAN adapter using tulip.kext. Sound worked out of the box (although I need to plug my speakers into the mic jack and change the output to 48000.0 Hz in Audio MIDI Setup).

Jas v Tubgirl

The Jas install is nicer due to the fact that I can choose the packages I want to install which can also make for a faster install. Jas also runs ALOT faster overall on my system. Does anyone know why? Does Tubgirl support SSe3?

There are a few weird things happening in Jas

1. I cannot connect to windows smd shares on my network although I can see the shares and authenticate see post

All other network/internet traffic seems to be OK.

2. I cannot send attachments in my emails from both my browser based mail (Safari of Firefox using multiple emails eg gmail, yahoo etc) and through email clients (imap) but my email is working from other PC's (really weird). I think this problem is related to the first.

3. iCal doesn't run (just keeps bouncing up and down in the dock) doesn't really bother me but it would be nice to have a fully functional install.

4. Just keeps rebooting on Jas 10.4.9 update

In Tubgirl everything seems to run as it should except it runs alot slower than the Jas installation and for this reason I would like to try and resolve the above issues and run Jas (unless anyone knows why tubgirl is running slow).

Tubgirl also installs the 10.4.9 update without a hitch.

Any help with the above would be greatly appreciated but I would also love to here others experiences compared both releases

Thank You

Can't explain the speed issue. It's the exact opposite for me...Tubgirl runs a LOT faster for me than JaS, but this has a lot to do with the fact that QI/CE wasn't running because I didn't install the NV40 patch when I installed it. But I'm not worried about it because Tubgirl FLIES on my machine. Almost zero wait time for everything...it's insane. XP can't come close. I almost flipped out when I was ripping a CD in iTunes and on AAC 160kbps I was ripping them at about 24x. WOAH! My iMac was doing it at 6x if I was lucky. I'm running close to your setup...Athlon 64 3400+ and Geforce 6600GT. iCal works for me...may have something to do with Rosetta not working fully? Not sure...but if you checked and have QI/CE enabled then it should be good. And YES...Tubgirl supports SSe3. Sorry I can't give you a straight answer...just filling you in on my experiences. Try uphuck's release...many different options.

Thanks but rossetta seems to be working fine. I am running other ppc software without a problem.

This is what comes up in the log files when I try to connect to a windows network share.

console.log

kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext loaded successfully

mount_smbfs: mount error: /Volumes/ENDEAVOR-2K;SERVER-DOMAIN: syserr = Invalid argument

system.log

May 22 19:31:06 nick-computer kernel[0]: netsmb_dev: loaded

May 22 19:31:15 nick-computer kernel[0]: mount version mismatch: kernel=103600, mount=103500