OS not detecting correct monitor resolutions?

bryanc

2 posts in this topic

I've got a Samsung 243t monitor, whose native res is 1920x1200, which I run from the DVI port of a eVGA e-5700FX Ultra. On the VGA port is a Viewsonic with a native res of 1600x1200. I'm running the Natit_Uni_1.0 installer posted by someone whose name I can't remember. OS X detects the correct resolutions for the Viewsonic, but only goes up to 1280x1024 on the big monitor. I tried all combinations of ports and dual/single monitors, and it will only work on the DVI port and it will never display anything higher than 1024 lines. I've tried SwitchResX, which didn't work.

I've found a modeline someone came up with to get it to work on linux; is there some file I can add this to? Could this be a driver problem?

Also, I'm running JaS 10.4.7, upgraded to 10.4.8 by following the instructions on paulicat's blog. I'm using a semthex beta9 SSE2 kernel. I then ran the natit installer.

Darwin bryans-computer.local 8.8.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Sat Dec 9 22:18:27 AZOT 2006; semthex:/nebukadnezar/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

Any ideas are appreciated!! :rolleyes:

thanks

Try connecting your Samsung while booting and see if it gives you full resolution, also see if adding 1920x1200 at bootup helps. If it doesnot, then you could try this:

I read about this a while back. Some newer LCD monitors donot have EDID info, or it is corrupt. Now the older nVidia driver releases used to rely on EDID to set resolutions. Thus people complained and the current ones allow you to override this. Thus the problem is fixed in Windows. I would recommend you use a EDID editor in Windows, to see if it reads your EDID.

On my monitor, no EDID editor, would read it. I used a DOS utility to force read my EDID and then saved it to a file. After hours of labor and googling, I found out that my header was corrupt. SO i corrected it and used Powerstrip to write the correct EDID. Oddly enough Mac would read my EDID perfectly, even though it was corrupt.

I would recommend you extract your EDID, correct it using Phoenix EDID editor, and write it back.