Failed to start CPU 01...rebooting

kramer2k

20 posts in this topic

ok, so i just shut box 2 down this AM and disconnected it from my HT (making it a normal PC). I hooked it up to my 17" monitor, and booted up...

Normal gray mac screen...la la la, waiting...waiting..then restart...

Strange I think. Let's try -v

So i boot with -v and get this error

Failed to start CPU 01 rebooting

WTF? It was running fine last PM and this AM, and now it decides to pull some attitude?! Anyone seen this or know of a fix?

I can't even boot with -x, or -s, or anything...

Im currently typing this from my winblows partition on the same computer. And I don't have mac drive, I might need to d/l it...

help! eeeeek!

K

I have the same problem with my system. It fails to start cpu 01 so i have to go into my bios and dissable hyper threding for it to boot up. I dont know why it does this so I am going to try a diffrent cpu

• 2 weeks later...
I have the same problem with my system. It fails to start cpu 01 so i have to go into my bios and dissable hyper threding for it to boot up. I dont know why it does this so I am going to try a diffrent cpu

Found out what the problem was...it's the KERNEL!

Using the kernel below (which is final kernel, nd-23 I think), it would hang at "CPU 01 not starting...rebooting"

Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Tue Mar 13 21:25:29 CET 2007; semthex:/nebukadnezar-newdawn/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

However, changing to the below kernel (found in Jas 10.4.8), I can enable HT, Activity monitor (not ATM or Sys profiler) recognizes it as 2 Processors, everything works great and works a whoooole lot faster...

Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Sat Dec 9 22:18:27 AZOT 2006; semthex:/nebukadnezar/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

So try this kernel if you are having the same problem!

K

Found out what the problem was...it's the KERNEL!

Using the kernel below (which is final kernel, nd-23 I think), it would hang at "CPU 01 not starting...rebooting"

Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Tue Mar 13 21:25:29 CET 2007; semthex:/nebukadnezar-newdawn/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

However, changing to the below kernel (found in Jas 10.4.8), I can enable HT, Activity monitor (not ATM or Sys profiler) recognizes it as 2 Processors, everything works great and works a whoooole lot faster...

Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Sat Dec 9 22:18:27 AZOT 2006; semthex:/nebukadnezar/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

So try this kernel if you are having the same problem!

K

Edit: I lied...now I'm getting random boots where I will get HT enabled using several kernels. Nothing is consistently giving me HT!!

I've tried

10.4.8 from Jas 10.4.8 install (HT sometimes)

10.4.8 final from IRC (no HT ever)

10.4.9 universal (HT sometimes)

AhhhhH!*($*%)(*@)

Work dang-nabit!

Edit: I lied...now I'm getting random boots where I will get HT enabled using several kernels. Nothing is consistently giving me HT!!

I've tried

10.4.8 from Jas 10.4.8 install (HT sometimes)

10.4.8 final from IRC (no HT ever)

10.4.9 universal (HT sometimes)

AhhhhH!*($*%)(*@)

Work dang-nabit!

So if you disable HT in the bios does it boot ok ? Mine does but It is very slow. 10.4.6 jas is what I am using. I was going to replace the cpu but now I am thinking of mabe trying a diffrent MB. I am going to try 10.4.9 just to see what happens first. Man ! this problem is a pain in the you know what !!!

So if you disable HT in the bios does it boot ok ? Mine does but It is very slow. 10.4.6 jas is what I am using. I was going to replace the cpu but now I am thinking of mabe trying a diffrent MB. I am going to try 10.4.9 just to see what happens first. Man ! this problem is a pain in the you know what !!!

Well same thing again with jas 10.4.8 "failed to start cpu 01 rebooting" message and it reboots. I am at a loss dont know what else to try but mabe a difrent MB or cpu.

Intel 915GAG MB

P4 640 3.2 ghz HT cpu

1 gig Ram

80 gig pata HD

GMA 900 graphics

did u disable HT in the bios i noticed it i have HT enabled on my system it runs very slow i turn it off and it runs just like a real mac (i think)

So i'm in the process of d/l 10.4.4 myzar to see if I can create / install on another small partition...I'll let you know how it goes. Currently at 25%....*sigh*...

did u disable HT in the bios i noticed it i have HT enabled on my system it runs very slow i turn it off and it runs just like a real mac (i think)

I have dissabled it in the bios and eveything works but it is very very slow. I dont know if its because of the HT or not. Whats your system ??

Well tryed 10.4.8 in a diffrent p4 system and it works with HT enabled. starts cpu 01 with no problem. but when i put it in the system I am using for osx it wont start cpu 01 so its not the software . I guess I will have to try a diffrent MB or cpu

I had the same issue with cpu 01 not starting on all of JaS's releases, i dunno why nothing would give me hyper threading, but now i'm using the default intel sse2 kernel that comes with uphuck 1.2 and now i've got consistent HT.

I had the same issue with cpu 01 not starting on all of JaS's releases, i dunno why nothing would give me hyper threading, but now i'm using the default intel sse2 kernel that comes with uphuck 1.2 and now i've got consistent HT.

So finished d/l 10.4.4/5 DVD...NO LUCK...still hangs on Failed..blah blah blah

but the weirdest thing...I get HT enabled occasionaly when my comp is hooked up to a TV via S-video cable. Never when hooked to VGA (don't have DVI cable at present time, it's at my new apt 600 miles away).

I have Prescott 3GHZ SSE3 proc.

ARRHHH!

but the weirdest thing...I get HT enabled occasionaly when my comp is hooked up to a TV via S-video cable. Never when hooked to VGA (don't have DVI cable at present time, it's at my new apt 600 miles away).

ARRHHH!

Any chance this could be due to a power supply issue and the proc not getting enough juice?

ARRHHH!

Any chance this could be due to a power supply issue and the proc not getting enough juice?

What size power supply do you have ?

What size power supply do you have ?

The system that's having a problem is my Rig 2 (See specs below).

The power supply is a Dell 250W (with peak output of 345W...at least that's what I've read). Unfortunately, I don't have a spare at home to try out.

As an general question, does a vid card draw more wattage wheh hooked to VGA vs. S-video?

K

Woot!! Figured it out!

So I had a bluetooth USB dongle and USB mouse atttached to my USB keyboard. WHen I boot with just the keyboard...HT enabled!

When I boot with keyboard + Mouse...HT Enabled!

When I boot with all 3...NO HT :P

So i'll have to try the BT dongle attached directly to a USB port...

SUPA-WOOT!

K

Edit...

HT also works when I hook the BT dongle to a different USB port. It only doesn't work when I have it hooked to my keyboard!

Woot!! Figured it out!

So I had a bluetooth USB dongle and USB mouse atttached to my USB keyboard. WHen I boot with just the keyboard...HT enabled!

When I boot with keyboard + Mouse...HT Enabled!

When I boot with all 3...NO HT :)

So i'll have to try the BT dongle attached directly to a USB port...

SUPA-WOOT!

K

Edit...

HT also works when I hook the BT dongle to a different USB port. It only doesn't work when I have it hooked to my keyboard!

Wow I am glad that worked for you on my system I have none of those this except for the mouse and keyboard still cant boot with HT enabled..

• 2 weeks later...

i´m having the same problem, stopping in the line "Started CPU 01" at -v mode

i tried all kernels from unphuck 1.3 dvd with same report

i´m using a Atlhon X2 3600 Brisbane core and Abit NF-M2 motherboard. My mouse and keyboard are also USB. Would the cause be the usb?

I will try to turn off HT at bios and see what happen.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I have an hp nc6320 and if I try to install macOs 10.4.9, I have similar problems: I try to install and I get a reboot, or, I can reach the "apple screen" and then I get a kernel panic.

If I try to install with "-v" option, I read:

panic(cpu0 caller 0x00191569): pmap_flush_tlbs() timeout pmap=4b2f00 cups_to_signal=0x2

debugger called <panic>

Indeed, if I install 10.5, the installation process holds after the (successfull) inizialization of MAC framework, on a message about the IOAPIC version.

Is it possible to install OsX (10.4.9, I think) on that hardware installing AppleACPIplataform.kext?

How can I install this kext?

Thank you

• 1 year later...

I was having the same issue. Ever time I booted, I was greeted with a "Failed to start CPU 0" error (instead of CPU 1 like others here). The strange thing is my Macinstein had been working for quite some time. I had been playing with some kexts to fix some of other issues (Netflix streaming) when this came up. I tried everything, even wiping my drive completely and installing from scratch. I re-flashed the BIOS. Nothing worked! I assumed that my CPU or motherboard had bit the dust. I was able to get around the problem by booting with the "cpus=1" flag, but I was getting ready to replace my Intel Core 2 Duo since it was only a week or so old.

I've been playing around with 2 PCs and decided to use a KVM to control them using a PS2 mouse and keyboard. I was also using an external USB DVD burner. After reading 20Hz's post, I decided to disconnect everything from the machine except the keyboard and the monitor. Then it booted right up with both cores. :( I narrowed down the problem to the PS2 mouse. Disconnecting it and using a USB one instead solved my problem. I don't kniw what this means. Is the mouse bad? Is the board bad? Right at the moment, I don't care! It's working again! Yippee! Thanks 20Hz! I would've never thought of this on my own. I just decided to read this thread one last time before sending back my CPU. I'm glad that I did :)