"Still Waiting For Root Device" error on Toshiba notebook

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am trying to install OSx86 on my Toshiba A105 notebook PC. Everything was going fine until the "ApplePS2Trackpad: Synaptics 6.2 line" of text appeared and then, about 30 seconds later "Still Waiting For Root Device" appeared. It will not do anything except keep saying this. What do I do?

Thats your pointing device (touchpad).

Use a mouse to pass the hill.

Press F8 at the early beginning and type -v and let it run, it gonna give a detailed error report.

post results

Thats your pointing device (touchpad).

Use a mouse to pass the hill.

Press F8 at the early beginning and type -v and let it run, it gonna give a detailed error report.

post results

Tried using two different mice (apple USB mouse and wireless keyboard + wireless mouse set) and got the same error. In -v mode nothing changes. Appears exactly the same as non -V mode.

0520071507du3.jpg

If you reset bios you will luse anything?

By removing the bios battery and pressing start without it, it will be cleared.

Well, I never had access to BIOS on this computer so I guess I wont loose anything too important (sorry, lol, im still not very PC smart, I've been a Mac guy since like forever and am not very used to PC's yet.) Where is the BIOS battery on this Toshiba?

Thanks

As I can see yours is a laptop. There is very little chance that anything can be done. For the BIOS password, call up Toshiba and ask them for help. Maybe they will reset it or give you a master password.

If your harddisk is SATA based then maybe your BIOS will have some SATA/IDE Emulation options, which you can fiddle around with. If you find this too complex, i would recommend you stick with a real Mac.

I've also tried to install OSX in a Toshiba and had that same error. Can't remember what model it was, since I gave up, after some hours of trying to do something via the BIOS.

Maybe, there's some option that can bypass the "waiting for root device" error, which, I think, is hardware SATA related.