Toast 8.0 Shuts Down PC...

Ben Reilly

16 posts in this topic

I have the Tubgirl 10.4.9 PPF updated ISO installed on my AMD machine, and so far everything works perfectly in exception to the Sleep function and the Auto Shutdown.

I've just recently came upon this bug when using Toast Titanium 8.0. I tried to CD-Copy a DVD and always half way through the caching of the DVD file, the system just shuts down. Writing small stuff like CD data backups and Audio CDs is fine.

I have a LITE-ON DVD RW drive that was patched using PatchBurn 4.

Anyone encountered this as well? Or does anyone know a reason why it happens?

Did as you suggested. Used Rosetta on Toast, but still it turns off the whole system when I'm writing a 4.x+ GB of data on a DVD disk.

Is there something else affecting this? Is OS X, perhaps, heating up my processor more than Win Xp when I burn DVDs?

I have an Nvidia 7300GT 256 ddr2 graphics card, and from the System Profiler and from what I've been doing so far with my machine, QE/CI is supported and functioning.

Is it a factor that the Toast Titanium software is for PPC instead of Intel? Looking at teh Activity Monitor while using Toast, I find that it's labeled "PowerPC" and not Intel.

Can it also be a factor that I'm writing files inside a 'read-only' NTFS partitioned HDD? I am successful in burning files on a DVD when its inside the partition of the HDD where Mac OS X is installed.

And just to set it clear, what happens is this;

[1] I start burning the file/s on a dvd using Toast

[2] After about 2 minutes, my monitor goes blank, but the computer is still working

[3] A few seconds more and then the computer just shuts down.

Everytime, these three sequences happen whenever I burn with Toast.

I think I've pinpointed the reasaon for my system to suddenly shut down, and I do believe that Toast has nothing to do with it.

Like I've iterated from my first post, I have Tubgirl 10.4.9 installed in my system (see my signature for full details). While searching for possible similarities of problems and solutions in this board, I came upon this as an issue with this version OS X:

Handling of large or malformed images that could cause crashes

Taking this information, I tried installing iLife '06 thru a .dmg mounted file. While copying it from another HDD in a network, my system simply shuts down halfway through. After a reboot, I tried just mounting the file from the network (which worked), and installed from there. Halfway through installing iDVD (which is a 1.7 GB file), my system shuts down again. Another reboot, another mounting, and this I tried installing each application (iPhoto, iMovie HD, and iDVD) one at a time. This time I was successful.

So, I must assume that the reasons for my system shutdowns is due to this flaw of handling large and/or malformed images and files.

My question now is this; is there a solution for such a bug? If there is, can someone point me to the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

mine says "PowerPC" because I ticked the option "Open using Rosetta" in mine to see if it solved my problem. Without that option ticked, it says 'Intel' now.

Toast might not be the problem, as I've stated on my previous post.

So, I must assume that the reasons for my system shutdowns is due to this flaw of handling large and/or malformed images and files.

My question now is this; is there a solution for such a bug? If there is, can someone point me to the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Are you transfering files to any other drive formats than the mac format ? FAT32 could create problems like this. It has a max 4Gig file size.

Are you transfering files to any other drive formats than the mac format ? FAT32 could create problems like this. It has a max 4Gig file size.

At the time of the said system shutdown, I was transferrring a 6 GB .dmg file from the network, from a Powerbook G4 machine to the PC Hackintosh OS X. Half way through the transfer (about 3GB), the system shut down.

When I was using Toast to burn a DVD (the files were 12 divx clips, each about 350mb) , I was using files that was saved on an NTFS partition.

Sounds like a corrupt file and/or HD. Run first aid in the disk utility. It may help.

Corrupt file - replace. OR (with luck) recopy. Try a different drive. One time I got macdrive (in windows) to copy a file corrrectly that could not be copied correctly on my mac.

Corrupt HD - reformat

First off, thanks for even trying to figure this out with me.

The question now in my mind is this; how would you know if the HD itself is corrupt?

As for the files, I think they're ok, because anything I try to write that is under 3 GB writes fine, above that and I shut down completely.

Also, yes I used First Aid in Disk Utility to repair files and disks.

If it is only one or two files it's probably the files. But if it was the HD ..... large files take up more space ...... so they would cover a larger area of the drive and have a higher percentage of finding a bad sector. There are several ways to find out if it is the drive. One way it to partition the drive and write to both partitions. If one of the partitions has all of the problems then you know the bad sectors of the drive are within that partition.

At that point (this takes a lot of time) you can "partition out" the bad sector by makeing smaller and smaller partitions until the bad sector can be isolated the smallest partition possible - or beter yet be left as unpartitioned space. I was using 90% of a drive this way for several years.

Some drive makers have utilities that will find problems. Usually windows apps.

But - I'm not saying you have a bad HD. If disk first aid found nothing......... I will ALWAYS repair permissions and updtate prebinding ....... just to eliminate those possibilities.

I see.

That actually makes alot of sense when I think about it. As of right now, I'm using an old 40GB IDE (or PATA I guess is the right term nowadays?) HD to test drive this hackintosh to make sure it works before I buy a planned 80GB SATA drive.

So because I transfer smaller files, it would seem logical to not hit any bad sectors in the disk, which in turn will not cause my whole system to shut down...

Thanks. I do hope this solves the problem, because to test this theory, I'm inclined to buy a new SATA disk to install a new OS X into. That or somehow clone this one.