Dell 2407WFP monitor failing on X1600XT?

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Received my Dell 2407WFP today, beauty I must say. :) However, I ran into OSX not recognizing the monitor, only being able to display 1024x768. And after a reboot, the login-window caused the monitor to go to sleep.

Tried everything, with the use of my older monitor, reinstalling drivers etc. It appeared a fresh osx install worked, but after installing the x1xxx driver for more resolutions, it failed again. So I thought...darn, must I now switch to Windows again? I'm a recent switcher to osx, so I was not looking forward to that at all. ;) Perhaps selling my rig and buy a Mac... something I'll do in a few years time I'm sure, macbook earlier I guess.

Ok, so here't comes. During the testing I switched my monitor cables each time I had to switch monitors to test things. Then I thought...wait a minute...I've got 2 DVI ports. So I hooked both up. My older monitor went blank, but now the Dell came to life and worked perfectly! The only thing I did was plugging it in to the second instead of first DVI port!

That seems to have done it. Strange I'd say, but it works, osx recognizes the make and model...even setting the correct Dell color-scheme. Yay!!! :)

Hope this could help others. Cheerz, Vincent

I had an issue with running dual DVI on my Gateway 24" and 22".

Quartz2DExtreme kext edit fixed it. I can now run native resolutions on both screens with ONE minor hitch: the text on the secondary 22" is a little fuzzy at the edges. Apparently, there's no fix fro that other than getting an ATi card, probably.

Do your kext edit from Zulu.WAlkers DS3 Tutorial and you might get it working.

Thanks, could be handy if I find a use for it. For now, my only wish was to get that 2407WFP up and running and wanted to share the findings with you guys/girls. Two monitors of different sizes isn't really handy for me.