cant figure this out, problem installing

jabibi

8 posts in this topic

i am completely new to mac os. i've never even used it actually and i'm really keen to try it out.

i'm using Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2].iso

i've the following specs

amd athlon 64 x2 dual core 4200

1 gb ram

1 80 gb sata hard drive BUT i am actually installing on a ATA IDE 80 gb hard drive

Well here's what happens to me:

I boot up from the dvd (without problems i think although it takes a somewhat long time but i dont know if its normal)

i select the language, i click continue and the installer prompts me to find a target for the installation then i open the disk utility and erase the partition entirely

everything at this point is at predictable behaviour, heres what i dont know how to solve:

everytime i try to create a new partition as mac extended, or mac exetended journaled (by the way, what's the difference between them?? which one is better to use??)

i get an error saying: Cannot create partition input/output error.

more weird is the fact that if i keep trying i can get the partition created let's say 1 out of every 15 tries gets the partition created (maybe not entirely successfully)

so lets assume i got the partition created after trying A LOT, the it asks for options to install and i select my amd SSE3 thing and nvidia titan drivers and it starts writing files

it takes about 5 minutes to advance to go from 0% to 1%... it took it around 10 minutes to go from 1% to 2%, the dvd drive read led only lit up for a fraction of a second

after being there a few more minutes i get an error saying that i should try reinstalling

maybe the partition is corrupted or isnt created correctly? or is it the dvd? or the hard disks arent set up right? i really have no clue. help appreciatted. thank you all.

the disk is working fine because i had linux installed i was using it when i chose to erase linux partition to install mac, and how come i should not partition it? if i dont create a partition then the disk never appears as an option target for the installation

Would recommend a single HD for OS X only. If you use Disk Utility once on a hard disk and look in Partition Magic after it, the whole disk is marked as 'DEFECTIVE'. You can't move this partition, delete, nothing. The only way to use this HD again is to completely erase the mbr, but then all is lost. With 2 HDs Dual-Boot with Windows is very easy, too. But ok, I can talk very much, my mainboard supports up to 10 hard drives, others may not have this feature :rolleyes:

GreetinX from the Other Side!