Need help getting 1680x1050 resolution

LaminarFlow

6 posts in this topic

Just today I upgraded from a Hanns.G 19" widescreen to a nice 22" widescreen Viewsonic. I'm using the straight up JaS 10.4.6 install without any modifications and it worked fine doing 1440x900 for the 19". I plugged in the new 22" and rebooted but the only resolutions it offers me are standard 4:3, no widescreen. Right now I'm at 1400x1050, but I'd really like to get the optimal 1680x1050. I tried reinstalling the GMA900 support package from the JaS DVD but that didn't change anything. Any other suggestions?

Okay, this is weird. I was bored and figured I'd give 10.4.8/9 another shot (another failure...QT movies are choppy, no QE or CI, and dock effects were strangely slow) and ended up reinstalling 10.4.6 again. I check the display control panel at random and suddenly my monitor's model number was recognized and I could select from widescreen resolutions, including the optimal one. Like a complete moron I hit the Detect Displays button for fun, and lost it all. It no longer listed the model, switched to a crappy resolution, and gave me only 4:3 choices. What can I do short of reinstalling again to get it back?

• 4 months later...
I ended up having to use an app called SwitchResX and enter a custom resolution, but I got it working.

Have you tried connecting your monitor via VGA or VGA to DVI? DVI doesn't work. I connected my LG L204WT via VGA to DVI to Sapphire HD2600XT and could boot to the desktop and change screen resolution to 1680x1050.

Thats odd. I am running at 1680x1050 using DVI with an nVidia card. All I can say is make sure you have the latest drivers for your card.(Usually on the install medium in the "customize" menu when installing)