2 Partitions - Main & Test install?

dsc106

4 posts in this topic

I have a 160gb IDE hd that I use for my Mac OSX (my other HD is for Windows).

Would it be a good idea to format this 160gb drive into two HFS+ partitions, say one at 140gb and the other at 20gb, and then to use my 140gb for my main system install when it is all working well... and then have that 20gb partition set aside for test installs?

What I mean is, to have say a fully functioning 10.4.8 install on the 140gb partition, and then when an update comes out - like 10.4.9, or eventually 10.5 (aka leopard) - i could use that free 20gb partition to do a test install of it and set things up and make sure it works properly, while still maintaining my 10.4.8 install?

Is this a good idea, or bad idea, or a better way to do this? Anyone else do this?

I have a full working 10.4.8 as main system, and clone it to another partition.

I can test new updates in this test partition, so, if it doesnt work i clone again original 10.4.8 from another one again, to continue testing...

I have a full working 10.4.8 as main system, and clone it to another partition.

I can test new updates in this test partition, so, if it doesnt work i clone again original 10.4.8 from another one again, to continue testing...

Could you please list your partition setting, your boot setting and also what kind of clone tool you are using? Thanks in advance.