windows vista memory problem

xeon4j

4 posts in this topic

hey guys, i need some help on this issue. i recently installed windows vista on my laptop which have 1 gb (2x512 mb) of memory, but my computuer still slow because i have intergrated graphic card. so i decided to buy 1 gb of memory stick to have at least 1.5 gb but the problem comes when i instal the 1gb memory stick and i restart my computer. windows vista begins to load but it freezes for no reason and if i go through safe mode it loads up like normal. do you guys have any idea how to fix this problem. thanks for you help

Just a few ideas - some laptops need (or only work properly with) identical memory in both slots, so mixing 1GB and 512MB might cause problems. The new memory might have specifications which are odd or misreported in the SPD and Vista gets its knickers in a twist when it tries to use it at full capacity. The memory might not be in the slot firmly or some tiny bits of garbage got in the slot when you fitted the memory.

Assuming you have the right memory and it's compatible, in properly etc. you can check it out 'live' like this: Boot the machine from a floppy or CD containing Memtest86 ( here - check the index on the left for free download) and see what it thinks of your memory configuration. If it fails, then it's a case of swapping out the memory with other types and sizes - borrow from friends if you can - until you get a config that works. If it passes, then it's a Vista issue...

well.. i did what you told me but i did it on the memory that vista was previously working ok on the 2x 512 mb configuration but the utility freezes almost half way. i think is the other mermory stick that is giving me problems. i will go anc check it out. thanks for you help