OSX 10.4.3 (8f099) + ASUS Radeon 9550 Success

daddyo

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

Reporting sucess with an Asus Radeon 9550, P4 3G HT, Asus P4P800E-Deluxe board.

10.4.3 + maxxuss 1.1a patch. Installed in Vmware onto a physical drive (native booting caused strange CPU panic), then plugged the hdd into the primary channel and booted off it

Using GF6600GT got vesa modes only.

Searched high and low for a 9600 but couldn't find one, settled for ASUS radeon 9550 (supposed to be cut down 9700). Booted up fine in accellerated mode (moving windows was snappy) but no QE or CI, DVD playback not possible.

Edited /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext added the pci device id

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4153

Revision ID: 0x0000

Rebooted, didn't work.

Rebooted into safe mode and loaded the drive manually (kextload /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext), and then let os x continue bootup. Sucess, QE an CI enabled. Slight tearing of mouse cursor. I suspect that the 9700 driver is not using the hardware cursor on the mouse.

removed old extcache, and recached, now when I boot up it works fine.

Cheers

Daddy-o

• 2 months later...

Thanks for posting that this worked. I will be looking to do exactly what you did. I am currently building all of this outside of my pc case and don't have that card installed yet, but when I do, I will likely come back to this thread with questions. I have pretty extensive knowledge when it comes to windows, but I am a TOTAL MAC n00b!!

Thanks in advance!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I'd like to add my own little success story to this thread. I have an ATI Radeon 9500 Pro (AGP 128mb)....not a 9550. Followed the same process of editing my Device ID to the Info.plist of the ATIRadeon9700.kext. Got QE/CI working no problemo, but have to edit boot options to get anything better then 1024x768x32. I can't get it to run up to 1600x1200 (which my monitor(s) run just fine in Windows XP.

Now someone just needs to figure out how to make the second out on the card work as not a mirror but as a span, and I will be a superhappy nerd.

• 5 months later...

dev.gif Cool, I got it working, mines a Gigabyte AGP Card, ATI Radeon 9550, 256MB. I'm running 10.4.8

Edited /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext

<string>0x41531002</string>

now I get this -

Display:

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4153

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

I got the resolution at 1680 x 1050, working fine, looks great on my 22" Chimei, but for some reason it says 1280 x 1024 in the system profiler.

edit - /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

add this -

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32@60</string>

I assume the Mirror is to display the same image through the TV out port, does anybody know how to enable this? wacko.gif

Edited by snarl

• 2 months later...

Hey there - can someone please help -

Hardware : AMD Semperon 3000, Gigabyte MV800m Motherboard, 512mb RAM (to be upgraded) PowerColour ATi 9550 AGP Card with 256mb Ram, Apple Cinema HD Display (over DVI port)

Software : JaS 10.4.8 Intel AMD version

Problem :

Darwin boots - no problem (but detects card as Radeon 9600 with VESA 2.0)

Grey Apple and spinning timer - no problem

As soon as the grey screen is replaced with the blue loading OS X screen, i get a split screen and jitters for about 1 second, then a perfect screen at native resolution (1920x1200), then screen goes black and thats that.

I've followed all the advice on the forums, including adding the info to the 9700's kext file, but am at a loss -

If i do a safe boot with "-x" same problem

If i do a safe boot with "-x graphics mode=anyresolutionxanydepth" i get same problem

If i do a safe boot with "-x graphics mode=1920x1200" same problem again

If i do a safe boot with "-x graphics mode=1920x1200@60" system boots perfectly to the OS - no glitches

have edited com.apple.Boot.plist to include working resolution - same problem presents.

Have swapped monitors for another DVI monitor - no joy, tried on VGA monitor - identical symptoms (adjusted resolutions accordingly)

If i take out the Radeon, no problems - system boots fine - everything else working - really am stumped - cant work out why will boot fine in safe mode, but not normally, unless another kext file is conflicting, arghh!

Any, Any advice out there?

Many thanks in advance guys