Yet another "Still waiting for root device" thread

Sithy

5 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I've been ploughing through the "Still waiting for root device" threads, but didn't really find anything relevant.

First of all, I've successfully installed Mac OS X x86 10.4.8 from the JaS AMD-Intel with PF1 and PF2 onto my S-ATA drive.

The Darwin boot-menu shows the two HFS+ volumes I created during install on the drive : a 75Gb Mac OS X volume where I installed the system as hd(0,1), and another 400-odd Gb partition labeled "Local Data" as hd(0,2).

Thing is, the drive these partitions are on is on the third controller, i.e. AFAIK the volumes should be hd(2,0) and hd(2,1).

The "?" screen in the boot-loader is all garbeled but I tried booting with "rd=disk2s0 -v". Same result.

I've now moved the disk to the first controller and tried booting with the default setup but it doesn't work.

Also, I read lots of stuff about master/slave configuration but I can't find anything relevant on my system (be it in BIOS or the jumper configuration of my drives).

Help welcome ;)

can you boot from the dvd and atleast install to the SATA hd? If not, try using an IDE or USB hard drive.

Yes, as I said:

I've successfully installed Mac OS X x86 10.4.8 from the JaS AMD-Intel with PF1 and PF2 onto my S-ATA drive.

This leads me to believe that the S-ATA drivers are functionnal, and that the problem is targeting the right root partition.

Well, after a bit of screwing around and reinstalling onto one single partition I realised the disk id was correct: the first partition of the first disk is indeed disk0s1 i.e. hd(0,1).

I booted the install CD and had a browse around, and noticed that there is no AppleNForceATA.kext on my system!

The worst part is that I can't seem to find a way to put it on... there's no sshd and I can't mount my USB stick :) any ideas ?