Very Odd Problems...

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I've recently updated to 10.4.9 with the new 8.9.1 universal kernel. Things seemed to be running smoothly after I got all the kinks worked out. I had to do a 10.4.7 LAN fix and some video issues. Overall, things seemed pretty stable. I continued customizing. I installed a new PowerManagement.kext to fix battery meter issues. I installed a driver for my wireless card. And I installed Parallels. Then I started to run into some very odd issues that I had never experienced before in 10.4.8 or .7.

Issues:

Windows Sharing

I usually connect to my Mac via smb to stream movies to my xbox and tv. After I updated 10.4.9, I was unable to do so. I know have all the settings right because they did not change (IP stayed the same, same username / password) When I try to connect, the connection fails. I then notice on my mac that service has stopped, liked it crashed or something. It wont let me restart it either. Then I notice my system sorta goes haywire. Sometimes programs don't launch. I get " -bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable " in terminal when I try different command. When I try to mount .dmg files, it says "Too many processes" Very strange. I did some research and saw that there was a 10.4.7 fix / tool called MPIP103_10.4.7.SMB.CIFS.APF.FIX.dmg that rebuilt the service among other things. However my issue remains unsolved.

LAN stops responding

If I leave my computer idle for a while and return, my LAN seems to have stopped working. A simple reboot serves as a quick fix but the problem returns. I remember experiencing this problem before. It may be related to the above issue, but I doubt it because no sharing goes on while I am away. If memory serves me correctly, it fixed itself. Any ideas on this other than waiting?

EDIT: I believe I have resolved the issue. The PowerManagement.kext changed my setting, so my computer was set to sleep after inactivity. However, the LAN does not wake after sleep. I think I've several people have had this issue. It's not a huge problem for me since I am rarely mobile with my laptop.

Random Stuttering

I experienced this in 10.4.7 and 10.4.8 and it has carried over to 10.4.9. During normal usage, my system performance randomly starts to stutter. Window animations are very sluggish, audio skips, and video hardly plays at 2 fps. This happens about once every 5 to 10 minutes. If I wait about 30 seconds to a minute, it goes away and good performance is restored. I've read something about FSB not being detected, but read it was later fixed in the newer kernels. My FSB is 533 Mhz, but according to System Profiler it is 200. Maybe my processor is old and this is just normal. What do you guys think?

If you have any input on any of these issues, it is greatly appreciated. I am running 10.4.9 with the latest Universal 8.9.1 kernel. My laptop specifications are in my signature.

Thank you for your time,

TaterSalad77

Windows Sharing: I have the same problem ^_^

Random Stuttering: Is your disk sleep turned on in power saving? If so turn it off. I found my disk was sleeping abnormally quickly and causing issues.. probably health issues for the drive too if left un-checked.