Building an OSx86 Compatible Gaming Machine

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I've come to the point to buy a new machine, but now that OSx86 seems to be running pretty well for people on x86 machines..having OSx86 compatibility for my upcoming machine has become quite a priority. But keep in mind that I also will run Windows, watch HD movies and play games too.

I've been checking the wiki's compatibility list but still I want to know what you guys think about this system i'm planning to build?

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 2.13Ghz

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 rev 3.3

RAM: 2x 1GB Corsair XMS2 TWINX

Graphics: BIG QUESTION HERE!!

Hard Drive: Seagate 7200.10 Barracuda 500GB

DVD-RW: ASUS 20x DVD-RW Lightscribe

PSU: Enermax 500W

What do you gusy think? Will OSx86 work fine on that?

Now about the graphics: What do I do here? I want to game, so I wanted to get an GeForce 8800GTS previously, but now that I find out OSx86 doesn't support it, I've been totally confused what to do. What should I go for instead? The 7900GT? (But that won't have DX 10 support..i'm willing to sacrifice if i really have no choice)...but in how long will the GF 8800GTS/X be supported in OSx86? Will it be in about a 3 months time period? If so, I want to buy a cheap card right now so I don't have to waste a lot of money once the 8800GTS/X is supported and I'll buy it.

What would you guys do? And what do you guys think about the rest of the system specs?

Will appreciate any input..thanks a lot! :(

well, its a good configuration, personally i prefer mobos with 945 chipset, i think there are more stable and almos anything runs without a patch see below my configuration, i can edit with final cut, edit with photoshop, play moviies, play game such as no ones live forever 2 and warcraft 3

for the video card the gt series of Nvidia, (not the 512 mb version) good luck

Guardian

But i think that'll be too much money to spend because i plan to buy the 8800GT once OSx86 supports it, so I want to buy something cheap right now..guess I'll stick to the 7600GT.

What do you guys think about the rest of the system?

Does the Gigabyte DS4 work flawlessly with OSX?