10.4.9 limits overclock?

joelexar

5 posts in this topic

This is odd, So I have 2 different installs of OSX on two Different Hard Drives in my machine. One has 10.4.6 and it works great. Have a e4300 overclocked to 2.4 GHZ and get a cinebench rating of 757, MACcpuid Tells me that the CPU is running at 2.4 GHZ.

On the other HD I have 10.4.9. Cinebench scores just over 500 and MACcpuid tells me the CPU is running at 1.8 ghz even though it is overclocked in the bios.

My question is does 10.4.9 limit the CPU to its rated speed? Even though it is overclocked in the bios? Just curious to see if anyone had the same issues and a possible fix. The MB is a p5dl2-VM r2.

Thanks

figure out what your overclocked FSB should be (not quad pumped) and supply an FSB=xxx argument to the bootloader.

eg... my Pentium D has an 800Mhz FSB, so I would supply:

FSB=200

hth.

Thanks for the reply,

I'm a bit new to this and was wondering exactly how to add an argument to the bootloader. Is it a line I could add in the BootX file with something like textedit or do I have to use terminal to accomplish the task?

Thanks again.

figure out what your overclocked FSB should be (not quad pumped) and supply an FSB=xxx argument to the bootloader.

eg... my Pentium D has an 800Mhz FSB, so I would supply:

FSB=200

hth.

hammer the F8 key just when you get past your BIOS screen, this will allow you to input command line args to the boot process.

supply the correct FSB value like so:

FSB=200

(substitute 200 for the correct value for your configuration).

if this solves your problem, you can edit a boot file called com.apple.Boot.plist and add the FSB=xxx line in there.

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist is the location of the file in question.