Reboot after install hangs/Cannot boot into 10.4.7 (JaS)

ParkAvenger

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I finally got around to plunking a 30gb IDE hard drive into my PC and attempting to install JaS 10.4.7 last Friday. The install disc boots, I go into Disk Utility, erase the IDE drive, then partition it into one big partition (Mac OS Extended - Journaled format). I install the OS, with nothing but the core OS, printer drivers (for no apparent reason), and the JaS patches. The installation goes fine, but then when it says that the computer will reboot, the timer finishes counting down, the little apple wheel begins spinning, and it hangs indefinitely.

So I manually restart. Nowhere can I choose to boot into Mac OS X. Acronis Disk Director does not recognize that there is any OS on the hard drive I installed OSx86 on.

So what do I do? Is OSX just not compatible with something? Do I have to edit some boot option in the BIOS? Or is it a HDD format issue? I have not seen this problem posted anywhere.

Thanks in advance for the help! :P

It is a secontary slave drive i suppose with windows on primary.

Both Drives are Active.

Did you make a boot cd with Acronis Os selector?

Format and before reinstall, give some details about your hardware.

It is indeed a slave drive, Windows on an SATA drive (primary).

To be honest, I don't know what you mean by the drives being Active. I'm guessing so, but please enlighten me as to what this means. (I'm a noob.. did you notice? :) )

I did not use Acronis to make a boot disc. If you mean the disc I used to boot OSx86, I just used MagicISO for that. If you mean anything else, I have not. Acronis can't even tell there's anything bootable on that drive, by the looks of it. (It claims that it's a "ShagOS Swap".. whatever that means).

My hardware:

Gigabyte K8N Pro-SLI Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 2.4 gHz 3900+ Processor

Gigabyte nVidia 6600GT Video Card

1GB Corsair RAM

If you want to make a dual boot system (Windows/Os X).

Be sure that your hardware supports OSx86.

You need:

1.Acronis Disc Director Suite.

2.Install Acronis Disc Directror.

3.Prepare your Disc or Partition.

Format it Fat32 and make it Primary and Active no Extended.

Give it a name that you recognize on later steps to dont mess it all like Mac Os X.

4.Make a bootable CD with Acronis tools (no neaded but is sometimes useful).

5.Install Acronis Os selector (it gonna give you an Os selector Boot menu on startup).

Ready for next steps.

Dont procced until you backup all important data on your computer.

Neaded staff:

1. Mac OS X 10.4.(1-8) Install DVD (on a DVD+ or -R NO RW!)

2. A PC with a compatible DVD drive (to install OS X)

3. First of all be sure that OSX can run on your computer before attempting anything like a dual boot.

How to:

1. Get a prepatched OSX install image (look at torrent sites for that).

2. Burn the image to an empty dvd recordable (+R or –R NO RW)

Use your favorite burn program for this (Nero, Alcohol 120%, MagicISO, PowerISO e.t.c)

3. Insert the OSX install disk and reboot your computer.

4. Boot the DVD, when the grey Apple stops spinning, select Language for the installation.

5. On the top of the screen, click "Utilities" and then click "Disk Utility".

6. Disk Utility starts. Select your Hard Disk or Partition. Chose "erase" tab and set the Volume Format to "Mac OS extended (journaled)" and erase it.

7. Wait until the process finishes and then close Disk Utility.

8. Follow the installation steps on your screen, select the HD with the partition you made in step 6 and choose "Customize".

In the "Customize" window, select either the Intel or AMD. Choose more packages if they fit in your hardware.

9. After finishing the installation, wait for the computer to reboot, remove the install disk and enjoy your "Windows" - "Intel/AMD-Mac Os X (x86)" installation.

Good luck.

(i ll post detailed pictures about that later)

Actually, now that you mention it, this may be the root of my problem. I'm using the 10.4.7 JaS boot disc, but when I go to Customize, the only non-standard option is something along the lines of "JaS Patches." No mention of processor type. Do I have a bad version? :(

You must to expand that by cklck in the small grey arrow next to it to define prossesor type.

Dont install X11, all language translations and the most of Printers drivers.

Focus on basic pacages by expanding the very bottom menu.

If you like to try another relese here is one:

Mac Os X 10.4.8 [Jas SSE1-SSE2 with PPF1 & PPF2].iso

Good luck.