Installing OSX 10.4.3 on a Dell Inspiron 8000 Questions

4 posts in this topic

I've read thru a number of threads here and I'm confused. I have a OSX 10.4.3 install disc and I have a Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop laying around. It's about 4 years old and has been running XP Pro. I need to wipe out the HD on this laptop and I was going to reinstall XP or possibly Vista (if it will run on something this old). Then it occured to me, hey why not wipe out the HD and install OSX 10.4.3 on it.

When I checked here to see if that's possible, so much of the info is geared to downloaded hacked copies of OSX and such. I couldn't really determine if it would be possible to boot the Dell off of the OSX disc and just install that sucker.

I'm sure it can't be that easy. But I couldn't find the answer. Can you folks please clue me in on this. Is it possible? Is there a "tutorial" when using a OSX install disc??

Thanks all.

Guest Ramm

Oh it can. Make sure your hardware supports it though! Check the HCL for 10.4.3 in the wiki; the link is in my sig.

If it does, simply set the boot order through your BIOS for your DVD drive to boot first.