9 posts in this topic

Recently installed JaS 10.4.8, only extensions installed = AMD kext

Specs:

AMD Athlon x2 4800+ sse3

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium

4gb ocz pc 3200 ddr RAM

200gb IDE Maxtor HDD secondary master, one partition

No other drivers installed yet.

Doesn't seem to repeat at any given step of events or after any given time, but I've only been up and running for a couple hours and I've gotten 3-4 of these grey screens now telling me I must restart and to hold down the power button.

No other drivers installed yet or anything. Sometimes I will be at the computer, and sometimes I won't even be at it doing anything it is just sitting and I come back and that screen is up.

I have usually had an app running though - Unison downloading on newsgroup, and/or iTunes playing music, or something...

Any ideas? Is this a known problem?

well I haven't just left it be yet, but here is what I have observed...

I think it might be when I start doing something system intensive - either on CPU or perhaps RAM?

Now when I try and use MacPAR to check some downloaded files, I can get it to freeze almost immediately everytime. Before it would take a while of doing stuff while other apps were running...

So could it be an issue with memory? Or heat (my CPU/case is well ventilated, though and I have no problems in windows)...

Any ideas?

Guest Ramm

Memory == doubtful. 4gb is more than enough.

CPU == Maybe. It's an AMD, soo....

Do you have the JaS.10.4.8.Intel.AMD.SSe2.SSe3 image?

Memory == doubtful. 4gb is more than enough.

CPU == Maybe. It's an AMD, soo....

Do you have the JaS.10.4.8.Intel.AMD.SSe2.SSe3 image?

Yes I have that image, with ppf1.

I noticed in "About this Mac":

Processor Name: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+

Processor Speed: 2.41 GHz

Total Number Of Cores: 1

-- I have a dual core (ie 2 cores) - why does it only show as 1 core?

I know I have enough memory, but I wonder if it is addressing it wrong? Or if something isn't setup right with CPU? Why these crashes, I can't do much if everytime I try and put the comp to use it freezes up...

Guest Ramm

Oh

You should try booting with cpu=0 or cpu=1 (can't remember which). That may help. If it does, edit the com.apple.boot.plist and stick whichever one works in there.

Ok, I'll try booting with those CPU tags when I get home. How exactly do I do that? Sorry, still new to this. I used onyx utility and it said that I have 2 physical units of the x2 4800+ while at the same time the system info said 1 core.

I'll check console logs. Where do I check those?

Any other reasons why I may be experiencing this instability? I have been using MacPar when it crashes, but if I recall it did the same thing when using a RAR application as well, and also would crashed before that seemingly when I had been doing a lot (dloading with Unison, surfing web, iTunes playing)... but in that case, it tooks a while before there was a problem.