Could use some suggestions on two boards...

4 posts in this topic

Hello everybody. First post from me. Very vibrant community and I am excited to join. So recently I got the jones to build a new machine after having gone 2 years without doing one. Pretty much when I switched to Apple. Well, I like the laptops, but the desktops don't suit my needs (read: my need to tweak and play with hardware). So I have decided to keep my Macbook and build and Intel box.

The two boards I am looking at are the:

ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP

and the

Intel BadAxe 2

I know are both pretty much a go in terms of OSx86 with nearly full compatibility. However, after reading a few old threads the BX2 sticks in my brain for one reason: EFI. I know there was a project for EFI on x86 boards, which the Intel board supports. Should this really be a concern? I didn't really find too much data on it, but what woudl the potential fruits of the project be? Would it make Leopard easier to install, etc?

Also, does the ESATA work in OSX with the P5W? It is hard to give up features like that and Wifi and ESATA, and what appears to be essential overcloking. But the BX2 has the EFI and what appears to be more overall stability. I appreciate the help.

Also, will running 4x1GB cause any slow down at stock or when overclocking? Back in my AMD days I remember running 4 sticks would lower your timings and the like. I am thinking about this RAM: http://shop3.outpost.com/product/5162136, which seems to be a killer deal and in a month when I buy I think prices will drop even further as they have been lately.

Thanks for your help everyone and I look forward to contributing to the community!

Hello everybody. First post from me. Very vibrant community and I am excited to join. So recently I got the jones to build a new machine after having gone 2 years without doing one. Pretty much when I switched to Apple. Well, I like the laptops, but the desktops don't suit my needs (read: my need to tweak and play with hardware). So I have decided to keep my Macbook and build and Intel box.

The two boards I am looking at are the:

ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP

and the

Intel BadAxe 2

I know are both pretty much a go in terms of OSx86 with nearly full compatibility. However, after reading a few old threads the BX2 sticks in my brain for one reason: EFI. I know there was a project for EFI on x86 boards, which the Intel board supports. Should this really be a concern? I didn't really find too much data on it, but what woudl the potential fruits of the project be? Would it make Leopard easier to install, etc?

Also, does the ESATA work in OSX with the P5W? It is hard to give up features like that and Wifi and ESATA, and what appears to be essential overcloking. But the BX2 has the EFI and what appears to be more overall stability. I appreciate the help.

Also, will running 4x1GB cause any slow down at stock or when overclocking? Back in my AMD days I remember running 4 sticks would lower your timings and the like. I am thinking about this RAM: http://shop3.outpost.com/product/5162136, which seems to be a killer deal and in a month when I buy I think prices will drop even further as they have been lately.

Thanks for your help everyone and I look forward to contributing to the community!

I'm in your same boat, and I don't have many answer for you. I looked at both of those boards, but took a chance on the Asus Commando. My luck would have it that my graphics card died, so I can't test the board out till Friday or so. The things that mattered to me were great overclocking, and compatibility with newer chips down the road, specifically the 1333mhz fsb core2's and quad coming in a few months. The only board that has 1333mhz compatibility, and that might work with OS X is the commando, a completely untested board. My next choice would have been the P5WDH Deluxe, but it doesn't have 1333mhz yet. I may return this board and get the P5w instead, but only when I know for sure whether OS X will work.

I know nothing about the Bad Axe.

Just a couple things to keep in mind. I was in a hurry and took a chance. The p5w is a great board, except for the 1066fsb limit (only limits upgradeability).