Losing my mind - installation error on 10.4.6 Combo Update Intel Base System + SemjaZa v.1.2 Decrypts

lxjenkins

6 posts in this topic

After several days of researching and many failed attempts at installing, I've decided to turn to you guys for help.

My system:

Dell Dimension 4700

Intel P4 3.0Ghz (sse3)

2gb RAM

NEC DVD-RW

I'm trying to intall Mac OS 10.4.6 on my 2nd hd (IDE - the other one is SATA). The process seemed to be going well (prepped hd, disk utility, customized install) - however, the installation process always fails at the exact same part. After installing exactly 5% of the 10.4.6 Combo Update Intel Base System + SemjaZa v.1.2 Decrypts I get an error message informing me that the installation has failed.

Here's the exact process I took (am I forgetting something - do something wrong)?

1.) used Disk Management in Windows XP to wipe my spare hard drive clean (30gb of unallocated space)

2.) Diskpart - entered the following commands after selecting the correct hard drive (create partition primary size=6690 id=af)

3.) Rebooted to Mac OS 10.4.6 JAS install disc

4.) Went to Disk Utilitiy - erased the partition (this mounted it)

5.) Started customized install - 10.4.6 Combo Update, SSE3 enabled (fonts, languages and printer drivers disabled).

6.) Installation went smoothly until 5% of 10.4.6 Combo Update Intel Base System + SemjaZa v.1.2 Decrypts at which point the installation stopped.

Any ideas? I'm loosing my mind over here.

Sounds like you either didn't select 'customize' or selected SSE2 AND SSE3. It's the last dialog before installation begins, make sure you select JUST SSE3 for your proc,

hth

The first time I tried to install I selected both SSE3 and SSE2; however, the process still fails when I select just SSE3 (I also tried just SSE2 alone for good measure and didn't work either).

sounds like you've done everything right....one option to try is burn the .iso again, at the lowest speed your burner will allow...sometimes helps.

Looks like that was the problem; however, Acronis OS Selector is not detecting the Mac partition. I'm pretty sure that others have had this problem so I should be able to dig it up.

Thanks for the advice to reburn the dvd.