10.4.4 - installing but not booting

rosegirt

5 posts in this topic

Hey you guys,

I have a 2.0 ghz socket 478 intel processor with the stock dell 4300 motherboard that came with it. (no OS installed, otherwise i'd get the specific ID) I have a gig of RAM and two HG's 1 40 gig, and the other 80 gig, both SATA connections. I have Nvida graphics running on it.

I have two questions, one, after installing the JaS 10.4.8 ppf2 in got the "sytem config file '/com.apple.boot.plist' Not Found"

and it would not boot any further. I would try to change out the ppf2 too anything else if i could get to terminal, but I can't.

Secondly i have an older version of maxxuss's 10.4.4 which will install fine, (and when i mean fine, i mean perfectly) it starts up, installs and then when its done installing and I reboot it, i get stuck past the BIOS with a blinking unresponsive command line "_" line. And yes I am sure that if you let it sit it will do nothing. The other thing that happens is when i open system profiler in the install package is says "cannot display system information".

I am acquiring another version of OSX 10.x as we speak, in hopes that maybe different versions will work. And yes i am sure that i have the right hard drive selected. (I know that because i erased Windows and installed OSX on both HD's in hopes that i hadn't selected it right.

Also please excuse me if this has already been brought up- I searched for help on the issue, but didn't find anything.

Any Suggestions?

It is a rumor that says: dont use Sata Drives cose you ll not install.

Most of the times is true.

Try to use an IDE HD Master and a Drive slave if possible on the same chanel to install.

Before you install diasble SMART from Bios.

Actually, the Dell 4300 does not have SATA...so not sure if you meant PATA...

And I also am running 10.4.8 on a dell 4300. 1.7GHz, 640MB PC133, Fx5200 (Full QE/CI and AGP), PCI CMI audio.

So it does work...

K