JaS 10.4.8 Install DVD: Doesn't contain kexts for my gfx card?

slayr-cxf50

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone

Argh, where to begin...

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with a 2.4ghz celeron, 768mb of ram, and the 845G graphics "card" *cough* thingy.

I'm trying to get a usable 10.4.8 OSx86 install. When I use the JaS install DVD for this version, I get 4 greys and a red colour as the only colours that I can see. Pretty much unreadable. Fortunately I've been through osx installs quite a number of times and i was able to install it. But, still, i get the 4 greys and the red. Very crappy video.

Before I tried this recent version, I got the deadmoo image of 10.4.1 from ages ago, and dd-ed it to my 80gb hda. I was able from the OSx86 Wiki to get quite acceptable video on that system. Unfortunately everything likes to crash. I've had no such crashing problems on 10.4.8 - just really {censored} video.

The Genius Bar isn't helping me with my issues - it only tells me about 845 on 10.4.1 .

Bah.

I've figured out that the kexts for my graphics device thing, the 845, are not on the 10.4.8 dvd of JaS. But they are in the old deadmoo image. WHY?! I need them! When I try to cross propagate from the old system into the .4.8, it gives me errors about extensions not working properly. I assume I can't just drag-n-drop critical video components. Haha.

Does anyone have any idea of where I should go from here to get osx86 working for me?

deadmoo was 10.4.1, and it was a pre-release. kexts from different versions of OS X dont always work together. apple changed a lot between the intel builds of 10.4.1 and 10.4.4, so its highly unlikely the 10.4.1 kexts will work for you.

why dont you just buy a cheap nvidia or ati card which is known to work with Titan or Natit?

why dont you just buy a cheap nvidia or ati card which is known to work with Titan or Natit?

So basically youre saying there's no hope for the Intel 845 on a modern Hacintosh?

I was planning to buy a Nvidia Geforce FX 5500 pci version eventually... [This box hasn't got a AGP slot btw.]

What about other versions of osx86? For example the 10.4.6 JaS dvd. Is there support for the 845 with .6 ?

May as well find out for myself. I'm getting the 10.4.6.

What I'm wondering is why they are not included anymore when they were working perfectly in that old version...

However, I'm a newbie to this.

I'll repost when I find out if it works or not (should be a day or so.)

Edit: No, more like a month. The torrent is insanely slow.