Disable .DS Store files over network

filomur

4 posts in this topic

I don't know if this has been already posted, but i find it to be an important bit of information:

Mac OS X 10.4: How to prevent .DS_Store file creation over network connections

( http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301711 )

This article contains advanced material intended only for those who are looking for information

on .DS_Store files. If you do not already have an opinion on this matter, you can disregard this

article.

To configure a Mac OS X user account so that .DS_Store files are not created when interacting

with a remote file server using the Finder, follow the steps below.

Note: This will affect the user's interactions with SMB/CIFS, AFP, NFS, and WebDAV servers.

1. Open the Terminal.

2. Type:

defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true

3. Press Return.

4. Restart the computer.

If you want to prevent .DS_Store file creation for other users on the same computer, log in to

each user account and perform the steps above—or distribute a copy of your newly modified

com.apple.desktopservices.plist file to the ~/Library/Preferences folder of EACH other

target users.

These steps do not prevent the Finder from creating .DS_Store files on the local volume. These

steps do not prevent previously existing .DS_Store files from being copied to the remote file

server. Please note that disabling the creation of .DS_Store files on remote file servers can

cause unexpected behavior in the Finder (click here for an example:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107822 ).

I have found this looking for a totally different type of info (Avid related). As i have temporarily uninstalled OSX i can not test it. It should be useful in conjunction with NTFS-3G

• 1 year later...

This is for those who want to HIDE the hidden files, not delete, just hide, like they are suppose to be.

For some reason I had to live with them annoying me for a while until I got really annoyed and I searched the internet for a solution.

This worked for me:

problem solved here:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=415

just in case the link will not work:

SHOW HIDDEN FILES

Step One

Open a new Terminal window by double clicking its icon in Applications:Utilities.

Step Two

Enter the following commands in the terminal window. (Press enter after each line).

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

Step Three

Your Finder will restart and you will be able to see hidden files!

-----------------------------

HIDE HIDDEN FILES

Step One

Open a new Terminal window by double clicking its icon in Applications:Utilities.

Step Two

Enter the following commands in the terminal window. (Press enter after each line).

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder

Step Three

Restart FINDER and you will NOT be able to see hidden files!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...