Updating 10.4.8 to 10.4.9

mtb

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I just wanted to know if I should update from 10.4.8 to 10.4.9 using OSX own software updater or should I use JaS.10.4.9.Combo.Update.Intel.SSE3. I have an Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard.

Thank You

Apple's Software Update will update your kernel to version 8.9.1 and the official apple kernels don't run on usual PC's. They need to be patched. Besides this many other kernel extensions (kexts) may be updated to newer incompatible versions thereby screwing up your install.

I can comment to this to some degree... I have updated a fresh install of JaS 10.4.8 with both Netkas' method posted on his blog as well as using the JaS combo update. The computer hung on boot consistently when updating Netkas' method (using the apple updater and Netkas' kernel), but has no issues with the JaS combo update. Be aware that you will need to use the JaS SMB patcher to repair your hackint0sh's ability to access samba shares once you update to 10.4.9, regardless of the method. I would personally recommend the JaS updater. It is running smoothly on my core duo machine with Netkas' kernel installed.

Running on Dell E1505 1.67ghz core duo, Intel GMA950 gfx, 1gb 533mhz RAM, STAC 9200 audio, Dell 1490 wireless.

I had the best success downloading the 10.4.9 delta update from the Apple site and backing up these files before installing:

/system/library/coreservices/loginwindow.app /

/system/library/extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext /

/system/library/extensions/AppleACPIplatform.kext /

/system/library/extensions/AppleAPIC.kext /

/system/library/extensions/IOATAFamily.kext /

/system/library/extensions/system.kext /

Then I restored those files and installed the new koolkal kernel package.

Reboot and everything worked.

Here's the thread on this install method:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=45283&hl=