10.4.8 won't recognize PCI NIC

6 posts in this topic

I've sucessfully installed 10.4.8 without a hitch on my MSI 915G Combo FR with GMA 900. However, in 10.4.8, when I go to do the LAN setup, OS X is not seeing my 3Com PCI NIC like it always has in all earlier versions of OS X (since the original moo days). The install was done as a fresh install on a new hard drive. It was not done as an update to an earlier version. I used the JaS 10.4.8 AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3 iso.

The NIC does not appear in System Profiler or the network setup.

Any ideas? I haven't done any post-install adjustments/tweaks other than "repairing permissions" in Disk Utility immediately after installation.

This board has an integrated NIC but I've never used it and have always kept it disabled in the BIOS because it doesn't work.

CPU is 3GHZ SSE2/SSE3 Prescott.

Thanks!!

water_cooling_man-

Same problem I had with an Intel VE, worked in every version from 10.4.1 to 10.4.7, except the .8 but after copying the file you mentioned from a previous version (I think from 10.4.3 also) it worked.

Let us know if it worked for your 3Com card.

water_cooling_man-

Same problem I had with an Intel VE, worked in every version from 10.4.1 to 10.4.7, except the .8 but after copying the file you mentioned from a previous version (I think from 10.4.3 also) it worked.

Let us know if it worked for your 3Com card.

I am in a similar position with 3C905B-TX. I am running 10.4.8 and don't have any older version. I would like to know where can I find IONetworkingFamily.kext for 10.4.7 so that I can test this 3COM card as well.

Thanks.

It all works perfectly again now.

I used the 10.4.3 IONetworkingFamily kext zip from

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry309098

I copied it over the 10.4.8 kext in /System/Library/Extensions folder and did the following:

sudo -s

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

did a repair permissions ... and rebooted.

BTW, my NIC is a 3Com 3C905C-TX.

Good luck! :wacko: