numpad is not working

butterscotch

5 posts in this topic

windows xp. my problem is with the numpad on my keyboard. it stopped working after my brother loaded linux on the same hard drive and removed it. whenever i press the numlock key it gives a beep. i have tried a known good keyboard. same problem. i just cant type numbers with the numpad section of the keyboard. i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the keyboard driver but no go. now i bought a brand new keyboard which i tested for numpad functionality especially in the shop before bringing it home but when i plugged it into my system the same problem persists. please help me somebody, anybody... i am going crazy!

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ HELP ME

Hi everybody... thank you sooooooooo much especially metrogirl :rolleyes::thumbsup_anim::D ... you know what stupid me i must have someday turned sticky keys on ... ticked the option under mouse tab 'use mouse keys' in accessibility options. once i unchecked that everything just came back to normal.... i feel like such a dork :jester: ... newayz loooooove you all :tomato:

A good way to check if Windows is seeing the right keycodes is to install KEYTWEAK which allows you to see what codes a key sends (if it's sending anything at all) and also to remap the keyboard. I always install it in a new system so I can turn off those pesky Windows and Menu keys near the spacebar which p*** me off because I catch them when I'm typing fast.

Keytweak didn't fix Butterscotch's problem - we discussed this in a PM - but it showed that his keyboard and BIOS settings were working properly because the right keycodes were getting sent. Which I think means that something in XP is stealing the input before the applications can see it. It could be something which gets loaded at startup, or a virus or maybe a game controller.