Quicktime Upgrade Gone Wrong

perlmunger

2 posts in this topic

PLEASE IGNORE THIS. I DID A MORE THOROUGH SEARCH AFTER POSTING IT AND FOUND SOME ANSWERS. SORRY FOR TAKING YOUR TIME.

So I successfully upgraded iTunes from the 4.8 version that is in the install to the latest, but I was then told that I needed to upgrade QuickTime to 7.0.3. I downloaded the image and installed it and now when I reboot, the OS won't load passed the "Starting Mac OS X" screen (or whatever it says. The one with the blue progress bar.). I waited a good 15 minutes or so to see if it just needed to do something else, but I get the feeling that something is not right. I am able to boot into single user mode without problems. Is there a way I can roll QT back to the previous version or at least remove whatever it is that is causing it not to load all the way from the filesystem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

-Matt

So a slightly less painful way to fix this mistake (than doing a complete re-install) is booting from the install disc and starting the install procedure, then clicking the "Options" button on the Installation screen and in there choosing to re-install system files (and backing up the previous installation) only. This kept all of my user files and preferences in tact, but put back in place the prior version of QuickTime system files that allow it to boot properly. I was then able to restore everything. I then upgraded the QT player the way that has been suggested in other posts.

I should have known better than to try to upgrade QT without checking this forum. Won't be so hasty next time. ;-)

-Matt