New eMachine Homework

scd

7 posts in this topic

Just saw a sale on a eMachine T3406.

Did some searching and here are the specs. http://www.emachines.com/support/product_s...ies&model=T3406

Checked the Intel 865 GV chipset http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/865gv/

Also checked the compatibility list and forum to see if anyone had posted anything for this model. Nothing, I realize this PC is not cutting edge but at this time would only hope it works with OSX x86!

Appreciate any comments!

thankyou!

scd

Forgot to add that will be checking the mainboard for "bad capacitors" http://www.badcaps.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Also checked that forum but did not find anything

Thanks again for the help!

scd

Exactly what I was thinking. $150 at Best Buy tomorrow. I'm going to pick one up, hopefully osx will run well on it.

Sure hope you did better than me and everyone else that went to the local BB. We were told that the store opened at 12:01 and sold all the 1st page PCs and then closed. I did not see any mention of this on their flyer. There were a lot of unhappy customers!!!

Sure hope you did better than me and everyone else that went to the local BB. We were told that the store opened at 12:01 and sold all the 1st page PCs and then closed. I did not see any mention of this on their flyer. There were a lot of unhappy customers!!!

I was able to pick one up in my local area. Of course I had to wait in a line beginning at 7:30pm the night before. I got the $40 512mb ram upgrade (768mb) total. The machine runs well, but it's not 100 compatible. While sound and ethernet work, graphics acceleration still seems to be an issue. I've followed several guides on this site, including the same guide I used for success on my Sony Vaio VGN-T350p laptop. Seems this chipset doesn't like the 830 or 915 drivers.

Anyone else with a similar experience? Heck, as fix would be nice as well.

everyone,

Would like your help to determine if BB was open after 12AM Black Friday(BF) and sold off the 1st page sale PCs.

Have done some searching on the forums and have seen mention by some posters that they purchased BF Sale PCs on BB website for instore pickup after 12AM BF.

Maybe because I was one of the Nuts that did not get one, do not consider this fair!

If you have any suggestions or opinions concerning this would appreciate hearing them. If you do not want to post them here, my email address is available.

Thanks

scd

everyone,

Would like your help to determine if BB was open after 12AM Black Friday(BF) and sold off the 1st page sale PCs.

Have done some searching on the forums and have seen mention by some posters that they purchased BF Sale PCs on BB website for instore pickup after 12AM BF.

Maybe because I was one of the Nuts that did not get one, do not consider this fair!

If you have any suggestions or opinions concerning this would appreciate hearing them. If you do not want to post them here, my email address is available.

Thanks

scd

If it matters, Bestbuy was open all day in my area. They opened at 5am CST. On a personal level though, I'm sick of people whining about fair and fair. I don't normally christmas shop, but this deal intrigued me. I finished thanksgiving early and get to Bestbuy at 7:30pm the night before. It was obvious that for $150, there would be a limited supply, and massive demand. The "weirdos," like myself, that endured blistering cold to get one, didn't cast any spells on the individuals who didn't get one. We waited patiently, and we snagged ours. Meh.

Anyway...

Machine Specs:

eMachines T3406

Intel Celeron Processor 340 @ 2.93ghz, 533mhz FSB, 256kb lv2 cache

256mb of pc 3200 ram (768mb total w/ $40 upgrade for extra 512)

80gb harddrive

Chipset: Intel 865G

Video: Intel Extreme Graphics 2 (0x25728086)

This is kind of a repost, but Sound, Ethernet and all acpi functionality works. The machine can successfully sleep and be reawakened. (Big improvement from my Sony laptop =_=)

It's fast, and once graphics acceleration is achieved, it's an great machine.

====================================

Did anyone else get one of these machines? Have you successfully configured the machine for graphics acceleration? Sadly, I've tried all techniques available here to no avail.

The machine is currently running 10.4.1 w/ the 600mb 10.4.1-10.4.3 pseudo upgrade.

God willing, I will see if any changes occur w/ the new 10.4.3 version available.

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

• 3 years later...