DNS cache flush & and DNS names

1 post in this topic

I'm new here. Hope this is in the right place...

I just changed web hosts, and the DNS propagated yesterday. Everything seemd fine untill today. The new location was coming up, and all was go untill my computer reverted to the old DNS adresses.

At first I though the host did something wrong, but after reserch I fount that everyone else was seeing the new location.

I cleared all the browser caches, and tried both safari and firefox. After some reserch I saw the the DNS Cache might be the trouble and set out to fkusg it. I used lookupd -flushcache, as well as a sudo command that found, but still got nothing. After trying and trying again, and restarting I called Apple Care and got a complete brushoff saying it was outside their scope of support, and they could not tell me what was wrong :shock: .

I then found another post that suggested putting these names in the dns list of the network prefs.

After this it worked, and the site comes up. IU cant' figute why it worked, and then didn't, and then did with these addreses.

My question is... Is putting these names in only a patch that will catch up with later? Why would flushing the cache not work? and why is the system hanging on to the old dns names in the first place?

Any light you could give here would be appreciated... :thumbsup_anim: Gav