can not install in 98

4 posts in this topic

i used onboard Intel 82801BA/BAM AC'97 on an MSI 845 Pro Rev.., It was working untill i change my harddisc and install windows 98 second edition again. Now it is not updating in current operating system, but in the mean time i install XP os and in this system it is working, that means it is detected automatically. i do not want to use XP, I want to use 98 os, how can i make it detect in this os.

Thanks

Noor

Noor,

Are you referring to a dual boot configuration, using only one hard disk?

If that is the case, then this problem is more than likely related to two OS's fighting for the first partition on the hard disk.

Win98 likes to be installed to the first partition. Moreover, this OS is rather predatory and will change your hard disk's MBR without checking for the presence of another OS.

Although I have not personally confirmed this, I suspect that OSX also likes to be installed to the first partition of your hard disk. If someone has successfully installed to a different partition, then please set this statement straight ;)

I have not done a dual boot configuration with Win98 and OSX... However, it is possible to trick these OS's into thinking that they are being installed onto the first partition. But, you need to be rather comfortable with Linux's fdisk to do this. It's all about "hiding" the other partition from the OS installation process.

If I were to run this sort of dual boot, I would first install Win98 to the second partition of the disk, while hiding the first (making partition #2 active). I would then unhide partition #1 (making partition #1 active) and install OSX to the first partition. Then, you are going to need a boot manager smart enough to bootstrap your partition of choice. Perhaps OSX's is suitable for doing this... don't know... never tried.

-Brian

Windows 98 is a piece of {censored} OS. It's not stable, you gotta reboot all the time, and networking support sucks! People take XP for granted until they try to use 98 again. Move to XP and stay away from 98.

tisk tisk. Sorry, can't be any help to 98 users ;)

Windows 98 is a piece of {censored} OS. It's not stable, you gotta reboot all the time, and networking support sucks! People take XP for granted until they try to use 98 again. Move to XP and stay away from 98.

tisk tisk. Sorry, can't be any help to 98 users :P

Do you think XP is better? OSX86 is the only one! ;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist :)