Has anyone had any success with Canon i-series printers and Canon drivers?

RFMan

5 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyonw has managed to get the Canon drivers to work for an i-Series printer. I know that some have made them work with 3rd party apps, but I need to actual Canon driver for my i9900 to be able to control color in my prints. I tried running the print utility using Rosetta with no success. It can see the printer, but the driver for it isn't in the list so I can't add it.

If I can get this and my Canon 8400F to work (not supported under SANE), I will buy a good intel setup to run OSx86 on. Right now, I'm testing it out on my semi-compatible Athlon XP 3200+ (S754) with a VIA chipset (motherboard is a Gigabyte K8T800PRO).

If I can get confirmation that it's possible, I'll go buy the hardware, but I don't want to risk 400$ on hardware to find out it can't be done.

I have the same problem. After a fresh native 10.4.1 install from DVD, I can see a BJ driver in the Printer Utility running with Rosetta, but when I validate I get an "Error:-9672". I've tried with official Canon driver from their website, and with the 10.4.3 canon driver package, but it is worse : the drivers are not shown in the printer utility.

I can have some results with PrintFab, but the printer locks sometimes. I hope the 10.4.3 install will solve the problem.

PS : my printer is a i865, mobo : Asrock P4Dual-915GL with Celeron 340D

I have the same problem. After a fresh native 10.4.1 install from DVD, I can see a BJ driver in the Printer Utility running with Rosetta, but when I validate I get an "Error:-9672". I've tried with official Canon driver from their website, and with the 10.4.3 canon driver package, but it is worse : the drivers are not shown in the printer utility.

I can have some results with PrintFab, but the printer locks sometimes. I hope the 10.4.3 install will solve the problem.

PS : my printer is a i865, mobo : Asrock P4Dual-915GL with Celeron 340D

Well, I just tried PrintFab (That thing rocks. I love that it can keep track of ink usage, and the options are really great in that driver), and it works wonderfully for my i9900 and my Epson 875DC. I have not tried it with the Epson 1270, but it's almost identical to the 875DC except for the larger paper size, so I fully expect it to work. The only printer that I can't get to work is an HP PSC1315 that was given to me, but considering that it's a rather lousy excuse for a printer (I've nicknamed it El Crapulente), I don't care at all.

I had to use the USB 1.1 port on the Canon i9900 (yes, it has 2 different ports, a 1.1 and a seperate 2.0). With the i9900 using its 2.0 port, the computer would crash within seconds of turning the printer on (this is without even trying to send a print job or even opening up photoshop for that matter). But then again, I'm currently testing on an AMD Athlon with via chipset K8T800 non-pro, and there are known USB glitches with this board.

I haven't gotten the scanner to work however (neither the Canon 8400F nor the HP PSC1315's built-in one), but that's not too critical, I can use the powerbook or my old G3 to scan, i don't use it very often.

The last piece of the puzzle that I haven't gotten to work is my Spyder2 monitor calibration device. It's there in the USB device listing, but the application won't see it.

I'm going to pick up an i915G board and CPU to see how it will behave on hardware that's supported. Nevertheless, with printing working now, I've got a viable photo editing solution without haveing to go back to my PC.