network config help

myron

8 posts in this topic

aaaaaaand apparently, OSX does not detect my ADSL modem for some reason. the network assistant keeps insisting that I did not plug the cable in when I did. workarounds? any explaination?

Make a router yourself with old hardware, it's better and safer because you can use it also as hardware firewall.

hm? make an old router? what do you mean? my modem is an aztech DSL 305e. It has a router mode. should I enable that?

Enable it only when you still have a router.

The difference is that a router make the internet connection and not your PC. Once the router has made a connection, every PC in your network (no matter if it's just one) will go online via the LAN card. The PCs don't make the connection themself.

For a DSL 3000 kbit/s line a Pentium1 with 64MB and 2 network cards (1 for the modem, other for the PC or hub) is enough. This PC don't need a HD, a floppy is enough. Here are more details:

http://www.fli4l.de/english/e_fli4l.htm

If you don't have an old PC, a Pentium 1 cost 20€ in Germany (I think the same in your country). The software is based on Linux and cost nothing. This router will also be hardware firewall. It's cheaper than to buy a software firewall and very more secure.

The advantage for you is that OSX86 don't need to know your modem, it's enough to have a functional network card.

P.S: you can also buy directly a router with integrated modem, but this cost 50-100€ and is not so flexible as self made one.

P.P.S: This solution is also good for Windows only users to secure the internet connection with a minimum of money.