Vista + Ubuntu + OS X with GRUB

30 posts in this topic

That's a nice guide. Will it work for Win7, ubuntu, and ideneb 10.5.6?

Edit: Yes it did work. I did a few steps differently, but it was nice having the guide as a guide :(

I created the partitions with gparted, and there was no need to repair the windows install.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys!! i have the same problem as rest of guys in this topic but i can't figure it out by myself.. i've almost got mad because of it.. i've already lost all of my important data so i decided to ask You for a help..

i try to set my machine to work as triple os notebook (Vista, Ubuntu, OSX).

1. i've created 4 partitions on my sata disc

2. i've installed Vista on first partition (second is dedicated to be, a D: drive for Vista)

3. i've installed OSX on the third partition

for now any of installed systems are unable to boot

4. i've installed Ubuntu 8.10 with GRUB loader.

For now on Grub see only Ubuntu and Vista OS.. OSX is unavalible.. fdisk -l shows:

Disk /dev/sdb: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Disk identifier: 0x16ea1347

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/sdb1 * 1 7650 61440000 7 HPFS/NTFS

/dev/sdb2 7650 32891 202752000 6 FAT16

/dev/sdb3 35568 38373 22528000 af Unknown

/dev/sdb4 32892 35567 21494970 5 Extended

/dev/sdb5 32892 35567 21494938+ 83 Linux

where:

sdb1 is Vista like U can see

sdb2 is unformated (yet) partition that'll be a second disc for Vista

sdb3 is OSX partition (i guess), thats why i set loader to (hd0,2)

sdb4 created itself when i've been installing Ubuntu. i think it was something like that:

in manual partitioning i wanted to format the last partition as ext3 and set 4GB unformated space (that i've left in step 1. while i've been creating all partition) as swap. after change it to ext3 i could not create any more partitions so i decided to remove it and use all of free space but it was impossible because of location of both spaces. all in all i left that 4GB of free space for later.. maybe i'll expand some partition or create it all again.. but it's not the point of my problem..

the last few lines of /boot/grub/menu.lst looks like that:

title Windows Vista

rootnoverify (hd0,0)

makeactive

chainloader +1

title Leopard

rootnoverify (hd0,2)

makeactive

chainloader +1

in fact Vista loads right but OSX does not

when i chose Leopard in Grub i see "boot:error"

so can U help me guys???

Ok, I'll give it a last shot with my current HD. I format as Fat32 from Windows and set it as active. However, I believe I already tried this. And yes, I'm trying to install the Tiger distro JaS 10.4.8. I opted for Tiger because I'm afraid Leopard might run too slow in my machine. I have a 4-year-old Samsung X20 with a 1.73Ghz Pentium M and 1Gb RAM. Do you reckon Leopard would run just fine?

If erasing still doesn't work I'll try with a fresh setup using my new hard drive.

Thanks for the help. I'll post my results.

My results are: It didn't work with my old HD (probably due to the formatting mess). It did, however work with the new 160GB HD freshly formatted. I first installed Windows XP on the first active 30GB partition. Then I installed OS X Tiger on the secand active 20GB partition. That worked like a charm. I got the hang-at-the-blue-back-ground-screen error when booting into MacOS, but that can be fixed real easy by giving the boot flag -v at startup. Then finally I installed Ubuntu on the third active 70GB partition and added a fourth extended partition for other stuff. GRUB was installed correctly without any manual change whatsoever.

Lesson learned is, use a fresh or at least properly formatted HD when trying to Hackintosh.

Cheers

Martin

Hi guys!! i have the same problem as rest of guys in this topic but i can't figure it out by myself.. i've almost got mad because of it.. i've already lost all of my important data so i decided to ask You for a help..

i try to set my machine to work as triple os notebook (Vista, Ubuntu, OSX).

1. i've created 4 partitions on my sata disc

2. i've installed Vista on first partition (second is dedicated to be, a D: drive for Vista)

3. i've installed OSX on the third partition

for now any of installed systems are unable to boot

4. i've installed Ubuntu 8.10 with GRUB loader.

For now on Grub see only Ubuntu and Vista OS.. OSX is unavalible.. fdisk -l shows:

Disk /dev/sdb: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Disk identifier: 0x16ea1347

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/sdb1 * 1 7650 61440000 7 HPFS/NTFS

/dev/sdb2 7650 32891 202752000 6 FAT16

/dev/sdb3 35568 38373 22528000 af Unknown

/dev/sdb4 32892 35567 21494970 5 Extended

/dev/sdb5 32892 35567 21494938+ 83 Linux

where:

sdb1 is Vista like U can see

sdb2 is unformated (yet) partition that'll be a second disc for Vista

sdb3 is OSX partition (i guess), thats why i set loader to (hd0,2)

sdb4 created itself when i've been installing Ubuntu. i think it was something like that:

in manual partitioning i wanted to format the last partition as ext3 and set 4GB unformated space (that i've left in step 1. while i've been creating all partition) as swap. after change it to ext3 i could not create any more partitions so i decided to remove it and use all of free space but it was impossible because of location of both spaces. all in all i left that 4GB of free space for later.. maybe i'll expand some partition or create it all again.. but it's not the point of my problem..

the last few lines of /boot/grub/menu.lst looks like that:

title Windows Vista

rootnotverify (hd0,0)

makeactive

chainloader +1

title Leopard

root (hd0,2)

makeactive

chainloader +1

in fact Vista loads right but OSX does not

when i chose Leopard in Grub i see "boot:error"

so can U help me guys???

This menu.lst works

(install it with: sudo grub-install --root-directory=/ /dev/sda)

Giorgio

unfortunetly it does not work ;) i've installed it in the way Giorgio said... but no effect

Edit: ok so i made up my mind and decided to see how OSX will look on my LAP.. ( aspire 6930) and it wasn't by all means.. i've set up it all over again.. and in a while when i felt a little piece of happiness seein' welcome screen of OSX.. the "grey truth" apeared ... OSX wanted me to connect a keyboard before start using OS (it does not recognized my build in keyboard;( ) ... this fact totaly pissed me off.. for now i've set up Vista and Ubuntu and that is enough for now..

thanks guys