HOTiSO Mac (OSX 10.4.6) x86 onto Vista/XP

6 posts in this topic

Hi again. After months of MAC OS X (JaS) failing on my old laptop due to an incompatible motherboard, I'm trying to install the 10.4.6 HOTiSO version of Mac OS X (x86 intel) onto a new laptop.

First of all, the computer meets requirements as it can choose the OS, however, attempting to install it has been a failed bag, as it decides to reboot automatically, with no intention of going through the Mac installation.

Here's my basic specs at the moment:

Windows Vista Home Premium (Can downgrade to XP Home or MCE 2005)

Samsung R45 laptop

Dual-core Pentium (1.60 GHz each core, combined 3.2 GHz)

1GHz RAM (DDR2?)

128MB ATi Xpress 200M integrated graphics (Oddly shows up as 18MB under OS selector during boot)

approx 80Gb HDD (10GB used for emergency restore for Vista)

Any tips on how to start putting a Mac on a Laptop then? :whistle:

Edited by Matthew Williams

...so you're able to complete the installation process but then U can not boot to it....(?)

....I suppose you want to keep your vista installation too....

If thats the case you showld get a boot manager (I use Acronis boot manager, thou I dont know if U can install it from vista). It would help U to choose Os at boot. Try to get the lastest jas DVD (10.4.8), or upgrade your 10.4.6 installation once is up... I mean the 10.4.6 would do fine (I guess) but with the newest you would have better hardware support.....it is also much more stable.

Edited by blackchungo

...so you're able to complete the installation process but then U can not boot to it....(?)

....I suppose you want to keep your vista installation too....

Well not quite... I like to keep vista fully installed or can go down the XP path, minus the internet drivers (unless the disc provides the driver for XP). And yes, Acronis Disk Director Suite v10 DOES work with vista Home Premium.

Also after it detects the os, I press enter and it loads the OS Installation boot. Once it gets to that point the DOS resets, forbidding me to install that HOTiSO Mac...

Well, I am currently downloading the JaS 10.4.8 before there is a panther version that will come out for our PCs, but as usual it takes quite a long time to download...

Quick update, there seems to be a dual-booting guide of using Partition Magic and DOS for Vista and mac, but I'd like to have these necessities using Acronis Disk Director Suite, using an approx 80GB HDD:

10GB recovery drive (no name)

32.05GB for Vista (Windows Drive C)

5GB Temp-drive for downloads (will backup onto external 20GB HDD)

Two drives, need verification on some Disc space. Obviously need min. 20GB for Mac OS, and I need to know how big the Swap file is.

Any other tips and tricks and how to apply the drives so that it'll work?

Right, I got the ISO now, but I have a few questions before I can attempt to do this.

1. How do I exactly SET UP the partitions using Acronis Disk Director Suite (v10), and what is required in order to put the JaS Mac and the Office AIE onto the laptop below?

2. Do I require a DVD-R for the Mac disc and a CD-R for the office, or can any type of CD/DVD (Mac DVD only types) be used?

3. I'll be also using Nero v7 (Vista ready) to make the boot disc, but what do I do in order to make a successful boot disc?

I'd like a quick but honest reply from one of you soon. :thumbsdown_anim:

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if you resolved your problems yet but...

I added a boot.ini with a fake entry for windows XP. Then I put chain0 in the root drive of Vista and added an entry for chain0 to boot.ini

Vista then configured a boot using chain0 which works fine for me.

I also have the 200m video, no one has come up with anything great for it but the closest is Callisto B003. I entered my vendor and product IDs per instructions but did not enter any hex code. Callisto was able to configure it from there and it allows me to change resolutions but no QE.

Also, I have found that sometimes its better to start with an older version of OS X and then upgrade. What is also VERY handy is to make your computer a triple boot. I installed Umbuntu. If any thing goes wrong I can boot into Umbuntu and copy/delete/edit files on my OS X partition.

Try various versions of the kernel. If an older installation works, then you can try newer kernels by entering them at the command line during the boot (I name them by version e.g. kernel_10.4.7). If the kernel doesn't work then you can use the default kernel.