yet another way to get deadmoo on >6GB partition

archi386

3 posts in this topic

Sorry if I leave exact commands out, each step comes from other posts and can be found there. If you are doing this way you probably are frustrated and have already tried dd / diskpart / disk utility / a million times and don't need me to tell you how to type them.

release1 DVD didn't work for me nor did the install-darwin-to-prepare-partition method. But deadmoo image was working fine. This uses deadmoo, existing windows install, darwin 8.0.1 boot CD, DVD burner (optional). Painful and lots of room for error because of all the steps and each person's different machine. But if it works for you like for me, when you are done you have image you can restore to any sized partition in future, and the image fits on a DVD too.

I'm just reporting what I did to share the pain. like I said it worked for me but I drove myself crazy first.

- partitionmagic in windows to free up space on disk 0 for macintel

- diskmgmt.msc in windows to create a FAT32 partition at least as big as DVD (i did 6500 MB). Can be logical drive. Create another partition after that (any format), size 6500 MB, but primary. Leave the rest unallocated.

- diskpart in windows to make an id=af primary partition in the rest of the unallocated space where your final osx86 install will be ("create partition primary id=af"). Don't make more than one af partition.

- dd-0.3 in windows to write deadmoo to the af partition (use bs=32256 skip=1 for speed)

- reboot into deadmoo image (I used grub command line and manually type root/chainloader/boot)

- set it up the way you like (MAXXUSS patches ,etc), but without installing too much, since we don't want more used space than a DVD worth (4.7GB). deadmoo used space to start is about 4GB.

- reboot back into windows

- diskmgmt.msc in windows to delete the empty unformatted 6500 MB partition so that it is unallocated

- diskpart in windows to make it another primary af partition.

- dd-0.3 in windows to write another deadmoo to this 6500-sized partition

- reboot. you can only boot to the first primary af partition, which should be the new one.

- apply patches, etc, but only those that add stability. This install will be gone later.

- enable root user using /Applications/Utilities/NetInfo Manager (only way ccc will work)

- log out, log back in using root and root password you just made up

- run carbon copy cloner ("ccc": download 2.3 from bombich.com) and create an image of the other deadmoo partition you set up earlier, and save the image to the FAT32 partition. You need to go to advance settings and check that destination will be image, no other boxes checked. It will save a sparseimage file. It should be no bigger than what a DVD can hold. Burn the file to a DVD if you want.

- using Disk Utility erase the other partition. It should now have its entire space free (>6GB).

- Restore the sparseimage onto the erased partition. You can drag the sparseimage file to be the source, and the second disk to be the destination.

- reboot into windows

- delete the 6500-sized partition. Reclaim the 6500-sized partition and FAT32 partition with partitionmagic if you want, or use them for something else like shared storage, linux, etc (or for your next try...)

- reboot to the Darwin 8.0.1 CD

- make the osx86 partition you restored onto bootable using these two lines (thanks to the post: <http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=512&view=findpost&p=11146>):

darwin> dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk#s# (fill in # with the right disk and partition #)

darwin> startupfiletool -v /dev/rdisk#s# /usr/standalone/i386/boot

- reboot into big osx86 partition and start using it! woo!

Future things to make it better:

- Don't need Darwin CD if you do the last "make bootable" steps from one deadmoo partition to the other before deleting the partition. but I used the Darwin CD so I can't be sure doing that won't make problems.

- A way to boot into Darwin CD and create/restore the images with hdiutil instead of using the second deadmoo partition and CCC/DiskUtility?

- A way to back up deadmoo to DVD directly without need for saving image on FAT32 partition first? [but its good to have the image on hd for faster restores]

- A Linux boot DVD with small system + the sparseimage + boot1h + boot. using it to restore the image and dd boot1h (but can't run startupfiletool from Linux to put the boot file on though)?

- Too tired to try any of these things now. finally using osx86.

• 3 weeks later...