rEFIt: Legacy Not Found Error with up-to-date firmware

CBG

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

Installed debian onto an external HD an no looking to use rEFIt to boot from it.

I'm on a 20" iMac with a 2GHz Intel Core Duo processor with OS 10.4.8.

The rEFIt site has this error documented:

http://refit.sourceforge.net/doc/c4s1_notfound.html

However, I actually have a more recent version of the firmware, specifically IM41.0055.B08, but still get the error outlined at the link above.

Does anyone have some idea as to how I can fix this?

Is regressing the firmware an option at all?

Thanks,

CBG.

If I remember correctly, GRUB was the partitioning tool included in the debian installation, in which case I assume it would also have been installed onto the external drive, which is firewire.

If I remember correctly, GRUB was the partitioning tool included in the debian installation, in which case I assume it would also have been installed onto the external drive, which is firewire.

Apologies for this error, don't ask me why I thought grub was the partitioning tool.

I did in fact try to install grub as part of the debian installer but that step failed, apologies again, I don't remember why.

• 3 weeks later...

I also tried booting my Windows installation from my external HDD via rEFIt without success. It gave me a similar error, as if it can't boot from USB drives. I got a MBP C2D, so the firmware can't be the issue here!