DVI on Asrock Dual 915GL?

16 posts in this topic

I've got the Asrock Dual 915GL, and I was wondering if the Silicon Image Orion ADD2-N Dual Pad PCIex16 card is compatible with the Asrock's A.G.I. PCIex4 slot. The slot is supposed to be compatible with PCIex16 cards but as I understand it's a proprietary slot with some compatibility issues.

If anybody has tried this, or can offer any insignt, plz let me know. Thx.

I've got the Asrock Dual 915GL, and I was wondering if the Silicon Image Orion ADD2-N Dual Pad PCIex16 card is compatible with the Asrock's A.G.I. PCIex4 slot. The slot is supposed to be compatible with PCIex16 cards but as I understand it's a proprietary slot with some compatibility issues.

If anybody has tried this, or can offer any insignt, plz let me know. Thx.

I heard it won't work, but I'm not sure anybody really tried it. I'm also interested in this solution.

its works for sure

its works for sure

i testet a Silicon Image Orion ADD2-N Dual Pad PCIex16 with the Asrock Dual 915GL motherboard and osx.. no problems

i also testes a apg ati 9700 pro with this motherboard and osx.. also no problems

i also testes a nvidia 7800 gt with this motherboard and osx also no problems

:)

it seems this motherboard accepts more videocard than is stated on there website

This is great news! Thanks a lot!! I heard ppl saying it didn't work, but I didn't think they actually tried it. I know they're website is wrong since it listed the 68800 Ultra but not the GT even though it's the same card with lower clocks.

So just to clarify, the ADD2 card supports Quartz Extreme and Core Image? Is that right? Thx.

This is great news! Thanks a lot!! I heard ppl saying it didn't work, but I didn't think they actually tried it. I know they're website is wrong since it listed the 68800 Ultra but not the GT even though it's the same card with lower clocks.

So just to clarify, the ADD2 card supports Quartz Extreme and Core Image? Is that right? Thx.

the add2 is not a real videocard it just connects the onboard 915gl videocard to a monitor

the add2 is not a real videocard it just connects the onboard 915gl videocard to a monitor

I know it's not a real gfx card. I was just thinking it might somehow throw off OS X since it's not running on a "true" PCIe bus. But I see now that my question makes no sense since the card can't possibly affect how the 915GL operates.

So thanks again man. I almost thought I made a mistake with this board, but you saved my bacon.

Is it possible with a add2 card and with an asrock P4 dual 915 to have dual screen (extented desktop), 2 monitors...

I would say no since the add2 card is not a real graphics card.

However, it is possible to have up to three monitors (I think) by installing REAL graphics cards into the PCIe and AGP slots, and using the onboard VGA for the third. However, I doubt this would work in OS X, and even if it did, only the onboard video would be accelerated. I digress.

Hmm... as for "It works for sure", perhaps not. I picked up an "Orion ADD2-N-DUAL", and it's not playing nice at all. No video, even from POST.

[edit after playing]

Nope... nothing. For any English members of the forum, with a decent 915 motherboard, I'll let you have it for £8 shipped. Honestly, this is the last time I buy an ASRock... not a patch on Foxconn... eBay references available via PM.

does the card show up in your hardware profile ?

Sort of.

Chipset Model:	GMA 900
 Type:	VGA-Compatible Controller
 Bus:	Built-In
 Vendor:	Intel (0x8086)
 Device ID:	0x2582
 Revision ID:	0x000e
 Displays:
Display:
Display:
 Resolution:	1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz
 Depth:	32-bit Color
 Core Image:	Supported
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Quartz Extreme:	Supported

Note the two options for 'display'; of course, I do have the dvi cable connected...

I'm making the assumption this is something fundamental since I don't get low-level stuff, i.e. system self-tests showing up through DVI.

• 2 months later...

I too have a "silicon Image Orion add2-n" PCI-E and cannot get the OS to recognize it. Either in Windows or OSX. My onboard VGA always works regardless of what BIOS setting I have. Any ideas why it works for you johan and not for you and i, boinkle?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure how johan got it to work. I have never got an ADD2 card to work on OSX or windows. Also I received this email today for ASRock

Subject: RE: Problem with Add2 Card

Date: February 8, 2006 5:36:47 AM EST

Dear Sir,

P4Dual-915GL does not support ADD2 DVI card.

BR,

ASRock

As such I am in the market for a new motherboard, please see my thread here

• 8 months later...