Confused About Me Needing 2 HD's

Kevo

2 posts in this topic

Hey I'm currently thinking about using "Simple Dual Boot" Submitted by br0adband and I already have the OSX file and everythig, now onto where I get lost...

I have two HD's currently in my Windows XP home PC. I I have my C drive, which has Windows XP Installed on it and some files. And then I have my D drive, which doesn't have an OS installed on it, but I use it to store my videos and pictures and even some program files.

The install guide i'm looking at says I need 2 HD's to install OSX, now what I want to know i; will both of my HD's (C and D) be clensed of all data or is there a way I can save my videos, instead of backing them up onto CD's (since I have like 19 gigs worth).

I'm not sure if one of my harddrives will remain intact during the installation process so that I can put my videos on it.

My (very limited) understanding is that if you want to install onto a hard disk (i.e. do a "native install" instead of a Vmware version) you have to use dd or some equivalent program which writes bit by bit to your hard disk. In simple terms it just overwrites whatever is already on the hard disk. (It's not the same as just copying files.)

So while it won't hose BOTH hard disks, you will definitely lose whatever you have on the "target" drive. As far as I know there's currently no known way to install onto one partition of a multi-partition disk, which would be the ideal solution in your case assuming your disk is large enough.

Edit: Seems there IS a way to install to a partition. Look in this forum