QE/CI ?

rational

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm probably going to look worse then a super noob for asking this, but what is QE/CI? I think this is the graphics accelleration for the OSX desktop right? But what does it stand for exactly?

And how do I tell if it is running or not?

And finally, which cards are supported out of the box for QE/CI so I don't have to edit any .kext files? Is there a specific list other than the compatibility list? E.g. something concise? I want to get a card that I won't have to do a thing. I believe the 7600GT does this among others right?

I got to the OSX desktop with my onboard 865G graphics, but can't set refresh rate, screen size, or tell if it's accellerated. I don't think it is as I'm not enjoying the experience very much...

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me a quick answer.

Take care!

Rational

Hi Thanks for the reply. That was what I needed to launch my investigations in ernest.

I was able to find a list of video cards specifically supporint Core Image (CI) on Wikipedia here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_Image

But I'll post it here for ease of reading:

Source: Wikipedia

Compatible GPUsAny Macintosh-compatible GPU that supports at least second-generation shaders, more specifically the ARB_fragment_program OpenGL extension, can also do Core Image. The same requirements are used by Quartz Extreme.

The following GPUs are supported (as of March 2006):

[edit] ATI

• ATI Radeon X1900 XT
  • ATI (Mobility) Radeon X1600 XT
  • ATI (Mobility) Radeon X1600
  • ATI Radeon X600 Pro
  • ATI Radeon X800 XT
  • ATI Radeon 9800 XT
  • ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
  • ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
  • ATI Radeon 9600 XT
  • ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
  • ATI Radeon 9650
  • ATI Radeon 9600
  • ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
  • ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 (only 64MB version)
  • ATI Mobility Radeon 9550

[edit] Intel

[edit] NVIDIA

• NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 DDL
  • NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT
  • NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS (flashed PC-Card)
  • NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
  • NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL
  • NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT DDL
  • NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE
  • NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT (flashed PC-Card)
  • NVIDIA GeForce 6600
  • NVIDIA GeForce 6200 (flashed PC-Card)
  • NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
  • NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Go
  • NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Note: The Geforce FX 5200 is only barely suited for Core Image due to poor pixel shader performance. With most Macs, the CPU is faster than the 5200 in rendering, so Apple disabled Core Image support for it and also did not support the 5200 in Aperture.

So what I'm hoping is that if I choose one of these GPU's I'll not have to change a lick of code upon installation. This a correct assumption? And I mean to enable both QE and CI and ALL video accelleration benefits. Am I wrong?